Someone, experience with KleinHorn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems like a "no holds barred" rearhorn, but not terribly practical.

If I had a pair of FE206E and wanted to build a rearhorn, I would:
(1) Build the Dallas II horn. It is optimized for the driver.
(2) Do the Decware phase plug mod. I've done it for my FE207E and it really smooths out highs.

bezobraznia said:
But for Decware mod, i don't have sheme or similar for doin'it?
http://www.decware.com/paper46.htm

The plug is simply a 15/16" socket (3/8" drive), standard length. Find the closest equivalent in metric, should work fine. Below is a drawing that I believe is proper scale. You need to remove the dustcap, careful work with a hobby knife works fine. When putting in the socket, grab tightly, it really goes for that magnet. As you can see in the drawing, the small hole (i.e. wrench side) goes out. Once it's grabbed the magnet, use a screwdriver in the hole (careful) to center the socket.

I was very reluctant to cut my drivers, but am very pleased with the end result. Also, the chrome actually goes quite well, visually, with the driver. Tell your friends that it's a concentric tweeter.

phaseplug.gif

Thank You for Your explanation :)
I know about Your phase plugs planet10, and i have two similar that i've made it for experimenting with my fullrange Visaton BG20
This is my project for folding voigt pipes with these speakers...
But i really think that decware mod is better because of "floating" sound waves below their mod. I think that Your phase plugs are art, but they make sound more directing to the listener and in consequence of this driver acquire more sensitive for moving on axis... even in 30 degree.

bezobraznia said:
But i really think that decware mod is better because of "floating" sound waves below their mod.
I wouldn't take the DecWare write-up at its word. I think it functions pretty much the same as any phase plug: filling that space void. It just happens to be very simple to implement, which was the reason I did it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dumbass said:
I wouldn't take the DecWare write-up at its word. I think it functions pretty much the same as any phase plug: filling that space void. It just happens to be very simple to implement, which was the reason I did it.

Steve is pretty good at spinning things. In my mind, the most important role of the phase plug is to fill the hole after you remove the dustcap.

dave

Ok I understand Your point, but in case that the most importand role Is it not possible cover dust cap with some material?
I mean that if dust cap is totaly removed driver go for lower Mms but if dustcap is cover with something directly on it, then Mms will go a little bit higher... depends on material that cover this partialy dust cap... or maybe total removing of dust cap and cover (with gluing) hole with another lightweight material?! Just an ideia...
Best Reggards
Niki / Bulgaria

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bezobraznia said:
Ok I understand Your point, but in case that the most importand role Is it not possible cover dust cap with some material?
I mean that if dust cap is totaly removed driver go for lower Mms but if dustcap is cover with something directly on it, then Mms will go a little bit higher... depends on material that cover this partialy dust cap... or maybe total removing of dust cap and cover (with gluing) hole with another lightweight material?! Just an ideia...

The dustcap traps a column of air. It is the air in this cavity resonanting that causes the problem, not the dust cap per se. Removing the dustcap solves some of the problem, filling it completes the job.

dave

Ok, i did'n know about these resonances of dustcap...
Thank You planet10...
I make indepndently attempts making driver by myself..
but i use old russian drivers with alnico magnets for this
The coil is original from drivers, but i made Cone including small cone for high freq. The surround i made it from waterproof textile...
Original drivers was woofers with 4-5mm Xmax and about 87db/w/m and Mms - very heavy, but now I've made Xmax about 0.5-0.7, light paper membran (from catalog magazine ):cool: and spl go above 91db/w/m ... i think :)
but in the middle i've try with and without dustcap ...
and with dustcap sound is better - less middle peaks

Best reggards

p.s. unfotunately i don't have pics, digital camera or similar gsm camera...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.