My current setup - Super frugal!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
44 GBP worth of drivers and I can go from 25Hz to around 18Khz :D

Woofers in a TL crossed over around 150Hz with some DODGY dahlquist active low pass filter

There's probably a pretty big bose-style hole in my responce at the moment, but it sounds alright.

80s music sounds great because of its exagerated treble being flattened out by the slightly recessed top end of the full rangers

Woofer - 18 GBP each, fullranger - 4 GBP each

I should start a website called 'scrap hifi', where people can submit articles on how to make really cheap "hifi" :D

This thread is about really cheap but acceptable sounding setups :cool:

Last edited:
bigwill said:
Woofers in a TL crossed over around 150Hz with some DODGY dahlquist active low pass filter

There's probably a pretty big bose-style hole in my responce at the moment, but it sounds alright.

:D

You could make some open-baffles for that FR driver, they could be placed on top of the subs.
How did you fix those FR drivers to those... inverted speaker stands?? (!) :scratch1:

bigwill said:

I found a good deal on a website, selling 1.5Kg for about 5 GBP. Is 1.5Kg of polyester toy stuffing a lot? I'm having trouble visualising how much that would be

not sure how much polyfill you need but i'm guessing you MAY need a little more.

as i suggested before, consider sacrificing a pillow first(they usually contain poly fill of some sort and are quite cheap).

I got away with no stuffing in my TL subs but they crossover at around 60Hz so don't have to go as high as yours Bigwill.

My sub drivers were free (in exchange for some computer help) and my Goodmans 201's originally cost me 25 UKP (although I spent another 120 UKP getting them rebuilt). Not quite as frugal as you though! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.