• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp suggestions for a tube newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Well, I just picked up a NAD 2200 amp for free, and I decided I'd like to build a tube preamp to feed it (I'm building another set of speakers too, still trying to decide between Dr. K's MTM, Martin King's ML TQWT, and Dave Brown's db717tl).

I've taken a look at the Bottlehead Foreplay kit, and it looks good, although I was wondering if I could put together something myself for cheaper.

I don't really want to do any design, but I have no problems following a a schematic, or maybe making small tweaks to another design.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Santiu:

I purchased a Bottlehead Foreplay back when it cost $149. It was a remarkable bargain at the price and, over time, I have added a number of tweaks that boosted my investment in the unit considerably over the current $349 price. Each expense was worth its weight in gold -- that preamp remains an exceptional value. That appears to be the hallmark of Bottlehead's products.

My point is that even at the seemingly high price of $349, the Foreplay III is probably an excellent investment. And you can likely improve it further with tweaks as your budget allows.

Bottlehead's products come with a first-rate manual and remarkable support. Consider the value of that as you ponder your options.

Regards,
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.