Importance of "First Watt" ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a nice product called "First Watt" by NP and I agree that importance of low distortion especially for and even for very low power is usually underestimated. This is the reason why most AB amplifiers sound bad though measure good - when measured at higher power. I agree that the first watt is importatnt and I attach 20mW spectrum of my error correction amp (inspired by NP). Please forget the baseline curls, which are the soundcard problem. I would greatly appreciate to see similar measurement of the "FirstWatt" amplifier.

Attachments

• 20mw.gif
    20mw.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 849
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
PMA said:
Better to compare 2 designs, with similar distortion for higher power (order of watts and more), and differing in low-level distortion (order of 10mW, 100mW). Try it ;)

one way to do that is to compare an amp working in AB/B (with bias) and the same amp working in C (without bias).

Either Self or Douglas mentioned somewhere that in a Class C, the cross-over distortion doesnot go up when output power goes down - totally counter-intuitive and I am not sure if I will buy off of that.

it shouldn't be that difficult to do, right?

anli said:

Pavel,

Have you rejected class A topology as a decision of first watt problem?

P.S. BTW, have you looked at my amp? Final (soldered) version is here: http://gaydenko.com/um/schematics18.png

No, I have not. The class A is superior, but a little bit hot when designed for higher power.

I have reviewed your ftp, very smart and interesting circuits. I apologize for lack of answering, unfurtunately been too busy in my regular job ...

padamiecki said:
Drastwuj Anli

maybe you will write about its sound; only sharp/detailed or soft/relaxing?
I'd say "detailed and relaxing" :) - it is balanced class A with very deep NFB (more than 90db in simulator).

I have very simple criteria for amps: it is possible to listen at high level and during long time without tiredness even if it is a listening of symphony orchestra.

OTOH, I have not a big practice in listening of plenty of other amps with different topologies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.