• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Timer Relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

So I've been searching, and I can't seem to find what I need (for a reasonable price).

I need a relay which will switch on after about 30-60 seconds.

Basically, I need to provide fillament warm-up before the hv kicks in. So, I would like to use a relay that after a set time-point will switch the mains on to the HV trannies. The relay should be powered by 120VAC, and be able to switch either 120VAC or ground the center tap of the HV tranny.

I've seen several octal type delay relays, but these are expensive (~$50). Is there any type which is in the $10-20 range?

Thanks,

Bryan

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Have you considered using damper diodes such as the 6d22s

Yes, TV damper diodes give you both a delay (30 seconds) AND a soft start. Using one of these, in series with an SS diode bridge, I am able to use a B+ fuse of only 500mA (fast blow) even though I am charging a total of 700uF worth of reservoir and filtering capos through it. The fuse has never blown! I use my 6D22S in the negative line, so there isn't a dangerous voltage at the top cap (the cathode). You lose only about 15v.

You can also use these diodes succesfully as one half of a hybrid bridge, or as a full-wave rectifier if your HT secondary winding is centre-tapped. However you lose a lot more volts that way.

Just built my first amp

Just built my first amp. Rick Spencer's Mini SE Amp from 4-04 AudioXpress. The circuit calls for just such a relay.
I bought it from a local appliance parts store just like the author suggested. Paid $10.50.
It is the ICM102. Data sheet attached. Works great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.