Anyone have any luck contacting Dr. Leach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I contacted Dr. leach about three years ago because I wanted to reference something on his website in an article I was writing. He responded promptly and granted permission. He was alive in 2002 and he, or someone, keeps changing the website. I bought some items from him in the 1970s, but he may no longer be in the parts business.
Regards,
Ray

Kelly,

Both boards are pretty simple. If you can just roll up your sleeves, you can start doing your own. If you are looking for the super leach, I happen to had laid one and I can sent you a pdf file. I am still waiting for my purchase list to grow big enough to share the mailing cost (I am looking for 2n5416 nd 2n3439)

Hi Kelly

Yip the original Leach boards are quite easy to make yourself as they are only single sided. But wiring really is a pain as well as mounting those T03 Transistors on the heatsinks.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52459&highlight=

Unfortunatly the board group buy has already happened - but I think Jens has some of the 10 Transistor version boards still up for sale - otherwise you can get a production house to make you some from the gerbers provided by Jens. Take a look at my amp in the link in my signature line - you will see what I mean about all the wires!

I am in the process of doing a build of this new version myself and have already done the version currently on Leach's site. It sounds very nice and quite different to other amps. Natural is how I it. No fake tizz of boom. I consider that as destroyering the sound ;) but we all have our preferences.

I contacted him about two months ago. I originally enquired about his boards, received no reply so I then joined in the group buy on the Smaller Leach by Jens. After I ordered the boards with the group I got a response from him and he indicated he was very busy and was catching up on his email.

If anyone wants to consider swapping a pair of his boards for a pair of Jens version let me know I might seriously consider it since I have the TO3 heatsinks sitting on the shelf and don't really want to acquire more heatsinks for the flat plastic ones.

Tks Byrd

But NTE stuff are way tooooo expensive. They cost about 2-2.5 times more expensive which is what I am not ready to spent. If you check mouser.com, you will notice the price right away. Mouser price is OK but I don't have a big enough list to compansate for the mailing charge.

The NTE's may be more expensive in certain areas of the world as they are manufactured by an Indian company but in HK I would imagine that availability would be less of a problem for that make.

The price in my country was switched around for those components when I was sourcing. The NTE's were about $1 and the originals were about $3. All depends on the politics, import duties and transport costs. But the real question is - is a dollar or 2 really going to make a big difference unless you are planning on starting up a production line ;)

Give mobicon a call & see what they can do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.