TB4D (plans of a 4'' Tangband 2way)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello all.
Here is a new design I want to contribute. I call it TB4D (Tangband 4'' double). Its cheap and simple to make. It is rather small and 90dB sensitive.
The drivers are Tangband W4-657SC (2 per speaker) and Tangband 28-847S for tweeter. They do offer great quality at the price (139 EURO for all 6).
I kept it simple. All drivers running the centre line, tweeter in the middle. Simplest crossover possible but nothing left to chance. Very good lobe and tight 50Hz to 20kHz monitor like response. Sounds alive but never irritating. Bass is great for the size. Transients clear as a bell. 3D imaging.
Look at the cabinet photo and you will see the dimensions too. Keep in mind that the reflex slot is mirror positioned for the pair to the outside of each speaker.
It is not veneered yet but I will rather choose a dark finish to highlight the magnesium cones. I eased the reflex slot lips as well as the edges of the box face. I used wool felt pads for damping. All drivers flanges are inset.
I also designed for a listening axis higher than the tweeter centre. So if you make a stand for TB4D it will not need to be rather imposing when the axis is targeting your sitted ear hight.
I used Visaton MKP caps and a simple 1mm wire air coil. No biwiring. If you end up liking it as much as I do and want to experiment with expensive parts, I feel it will respond. There are very few crossover parts anyway.
TB4D has potential for very good systems. Just give it 2 days to break in.

Attachments

• tb4dcab.jpg
    tb4dcab.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,273
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

If we push the cross to lets say 5kHz then the length between centres is too long. Also the mag cones will need a resonance trap. I have tried such and I prefered the 2.5kHz point for tight imaging, no mag nasties and crossover simplicity. The TB tweeter is absolutely capable since it is low Fs type and very sweet indeed.

Hi Salas,
seems like you like to design yourself but please have a look at this:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index.htm?/hifi/gruenanlage.htm
I´ve listened to that speaker on a recent hifi-show and can still remember the good sound although it had quite a bit of competition there. Highly recommended!

Can´t find the proper link right now but I´ve got the building plans as well. They´re just 38kB so if you want them...

greets
Jens

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does the port have internal dimensions?

Yes, as you can see in the photo, it has 100mm hight, 20mm width, 130mm depth. I use the cabinet wall for one side and I build the other 3 sides from same material. The colored wood bits are just a fix on an error at the exit's lips. Ignore them.

I will be happy to know what you think when you finish. Please post some photo here too.

I´ve listened to that speaker on a recent hifi-show and can still remember the good sound although it had quite a bit of competition there. Highly recommended!

Yes I am aware of those designs (I got the drivers from that shop). Knowing the tangbands there is no reason not to be good speakers too as you attest. Did you listen to both or just the floorstander?
I dont know about each designer's sense of tone though so I prefer to try my own hand normally. Please post the data to my email for evaluation. You are very kind.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
seems like you like to design yourself but please have a look at this:

Thanks for the plans. After studying the Te-el, I must say I would not be tempted comparing to the TB4D. It achieves 50 Hz needing to be a 110cm floorstander with a back tail when the TB4D does 48 hz being 40cm tall. Then the Te-el is 88dB when the TB4D is 90dB. Its crossover uses 6 elements when TB4D requires only 3 (2.2//2.2uf counts as one).
It must be good sounding but I suspect a less controled box coloration and possibly a pipe resonance. All cavities are bad things and I prefer a small reflex cavity to a long pipe one. I would use a folded horn if to make a floorstander with 2 W657.

The Grünanlage just underwent an update. Salas low pass filter is pretty close to the blue planet acoustic crossover but the tweeter really should have a 12 db high pass.

Salas is absolutely right about the bass extension. The TL and BR go equally low but obviously they sound a little different.

The TL was recently profiled in Klang + Ton. The speaker is totally worth the money.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The tall German version is quoted something like 87dB sens per W? This one is 90dB with no attenuation on the TW combining the 6dB electrical and the acoustic roll-off. Its possible they don't have that much difference in tweeter THD when playing same moderate SPL for used Wattage. Although I found the 1st order more coherent for transition and more expansive for sound stage when I designed it ~6yrs ago its likely the 12dB could be more THD controlling when pushed far. It plays in a small living room and never coughed in there though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.