Cabinet question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
This might seem like a silly question to the single driver long time users but here goes. I was given a pair of backloaded cabinets that I have no information about internal construction or anything. Is there a way to determine based upon general dimensions what they are tuned to? I could take them apart but not knowing if they are glued or not I would hate to mess them up. I guess my real drive is finding a speaker that is best suited for the design. I can post pixs later but thusfar have used Technics 4" full range, Heathkit 8" FR, Telefunken 8" FR, Jensen 8" FR. By far the Telefunkens have the best bass but are a bit boomy until I add a 1st order tweeter. The other speakers are great mids and up but lack bass. Any suggestions?
Tim

Judging by the first photo, they look more like transmission lines than BLH.
The second photo is hard to decipher... is it a view of the "compression chamber"? If so, seems that there are some gaps in the junction of some panels. Whatever the design (BLH or TL) these gaps should be fixed (fill the void with hot melt glue).

The cabinet should affect only the bass reproduction, so if only the Telefunken sound almost right in the cab, then the other drivers are not for that cab. If you had the TS param. of the telefunken, it might help in doing some ballpark calculations.

The vent is pretty big, if you get your hand inside it, can you feel the presence of partitions or hints about construction?

Do you have any idea as of when the enclosure was built (looks kind of 60's)?

Overall though, it's kind of a shot in the dark.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
hey and thanks for the reply Robert. I really have no idea when they were made, I do have the original baffle boards which are 10X10. I might be able to fit some 10 inch drivers but it would be tight. As for the internal construction the opening has a slanted top and inside above it I can feel another board with an opening toward the front of the cabinet, but that is about it. I have been tempted to try and diassymbly but am a little concerned about tearing them up. I do need to seal the openings you saw in the second pix which is the baffle chamber.I wish I could get the specs on the drivers. I don't have anyway to measure them myself. They are vintage 1955.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.