Dantimax Volume Control an Aleph P1.7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html

Does anybody know if the Relay Volume Attentuator Boards from Dantimax will work properly with Aleph P1.7?
I'am using Kristians Aleph P1.7 PCB's in unbalanced mode and want to use a kind of ready solution for volume control (output).

The RelVol1 has a constant input impendance, the RelVol2 has only 26 steps. Have I only to change the
resistors in this circiut so that they match the Aleph's needs (2 oder 5 K) or is there something else I have to
consider due to the constant input impendance.

Regards
Arne

Hi,

you could use the volume board 1 with 64 steps and a 5k input impedance. A 5k pot also has a constant input impedance if you connect the output on the wiper (as in BOSOZ) so there should be no problem here. You will need 4 boards though if you want to keep it balanced or change the boards to work as a balanced output attenuator (shunt).

William

Hi Mikkel,

When would teh balanced version be available? Is it a constant impedance design?

One comment about your website. It would be nice to bundle recommended components together in a solution for one price.

There are lots of people who are going to build Kari's XBosoz boards very soon, and offering a quantity deal on a balanced version of a relay attuenator, relay input selector, controls, and LCD display.

Just my $.02 worth,

-David

dw8083 said:
When would teh balanced version be available? Is it a constant impedance design?

I think it is ready - I just have to test it thoroughly to make sure the performance is as good as the standard type. It's the same circuit as the RelVol1, just using smaller relays (and twice as many).

One comment about your website. It would be nice to bundle recommended components together in a solution for one price.

It's just hard to figure out what to bundle. I'm not sure I have ever sold the same bundle twice yet :)

There are lots of people who are going to build Kari's XBosoz boards very soon, and offering a quantity deal on a balanced version of a relay attuenator, relay input selector, controls, and LCD display.

I think Illusus is planning a group buy.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

dw8083 said:

Hi Mikkel,

Would the GB using your products for for Kari's xBosoz boards have a configuration as quoted above or using your current products?

-David

Apart from the balanced version of the relay attenuator it doesn't differ from the standard products as far as I can see. I guess the groupbuy could include whatever people want - different combinations would be no problem.

Many of the parts for the different boards are the same, so even if many different boards were ordered I could still order the parts in large quantities.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Sorry for the delay on the GB thread...I've been very busy. My plan is to start a wiki featuring all of the related kits from Mikkel, you pick and choose the kits you want. The discount should be proportionate to the amount of kits in demand, therefore, some things may not carry much of a discount at all, ie. if only one person wants a certain display. I may limit the choice of kits slightly... you know how hard it is to choose when there are too many items on the menu...less is easier on the chef as well.

The balanced attenuator kit would be ideal at this time. I am paralleling two RelVol1 boards to get balanced operation. I have everything assembled but am waiting on Kari and Anthony's group buys. Since I have all the necessary part/board dimensions I may build my case early and use Mikkel's kits in passive mode and add the BOSOZ when they arrive.

Hopefully I'll have some time this week to start the thread and wiki. I'm very curious about the amount of parties interested in purchasing the kits.

The wait may not be too long...

I have just tested the balanced board - sort of. My signal generator and voltmeter are not balanced, so I have only tested "half" the attenuator. I will build some small converter circuits during the weekend for more complete testing.

But it doesn't look bad so far. The board works as expected. I also tested the frequency response at some random steps. The "worst" position I found was 40 (-23dB) - the -3dB point was at 430kHz... At 30 (-33dB) the -1dB point was at 400kHz - I couldn't find the -3dB point :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hi Mikkel just wandering if these kits can work with all pwer amps? i got a leach amp.

If they do what do i need to buy to get:
inputs both balanced and not balanced or even just not balanced
remote volume with a digital display

also is there a kit i can get to select 6/7ch inputs and also volume??

Regards

Bowdown

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Balanced Relay Volume Attenuator

Hi Mikkel,

what type of Relays do you use for the balanced version of the attenuator board. Are they special type for audio purposes?

What will be the difference in price between two unbalanced stereo boards and a stereo balanced version?

I am planning to built a multi-channel preamp with your modules (incl. volume control, Display and input selector) and Kristians P.7 PCB's.

Regards,

Arne

bowdown said:
Hi Mikkel just wandering if these kits can work with all pwer amps? i got a leach amp.

Yes they can - but then it doesn't really belong in this thread... :)

If they do what do i need to buy to get:
inputs both balanced and not balanced or even just not balanced
remote volume with a digital display

Input1 or Input2 (unbalanced/balanced), and one or two of the attenuator boards. To control it either VolControl3 (primitive version) or Control2 (less primitive version).

also is there a kit i can get to select 6/7ch inputs and also volume??

Inputs? In plural? The cheapest 6-channel volume control would be a 6-channel motorised pot. You can also use as many attenuator boards as needed (and more than one input selector board if needed). For multi-channel setups you need the Control2 though (unless you use an InputVol1, extra Input1s if needed, a motorised pot and a Control1).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Balanced Relay Volume Attenuator

1543 said:
Hi Mikkel,

what type of Relays do you use for the balanced version of the attenuator board.

The ones I have currently are NEC UA-2. I also have some NAIS relays with a type number I can't decypher...

Are they special type for audio purposes?

No. I don't think they exist (and if they do, they are probably re-labelled standard types with inflated prices to make more money on the audiophools... ;) - or am I wrong about this?). The relays I use are signal relays with gold-plated contacts. Many high-end manufacturers do the same, so I guess using signal/telecom relays is no problem.

What will be the difference in price between two unbalanced stereo boards and a stereo balanced version?

The balanced version should be cheaper, but it depends on the relays. The list prices for the small relays are a lot higher than the standard-sized relays. So if I have to pay full price for the relays, the cost will probably be about the same. The relays I have now were quite cheap, but I only have about 150 pcs. You can see the relays here (on an old "experiment"): http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Attenuator.jpg

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hi Mikkel thanx for your quick reply. Just a few more questions if you dont mind, just so i get the right combination of items.

So make to make the control2 work i need the following stuff:-

C2Panel1-1 Front panel type 1 (1 encoder)
or
C2Panel1-2 Front panel type 1 (2 encoders)
+
C2Panel2 Front panel type 2

then to get everything to work i need the following:-

Input1 Input selector board
or
Input2 Input selector board
+
Relvol1 or Relvol2
+
any of the LCD display modules

Is there anything i am missing?
How is the volume controlled?
Is it remote controlled?
Is the volume/selectors push button or only rotary or both?
What rotary encoder do i have to get if i need one?

Mikkel thank you so much for all your info and time.

Regards

Bowdown

bowdown said:
So make to make the control2 work i need the following stuff:-

C2Panel1-1 Front panel type 1 (1 encoder)
or
C2Panel1-2 Front panel type 1 (2 encoders)
+
C2Panel2 Front panel type 2

Yes.

then to get everything to work i need the following:-

Input1 Input selector board
or
Input2 Input selector board
+
Relvol1 or Relvol2
+
any of the LCD display modules

Yes. The displays are standard types, so you can use others as well.

Is there anything i am missing?

No

How is the volume controlled?
Is it remote controlled?
Is the volume/selectors push button or only rotary or both?

The volume is controlled by one of the rotary encoders. The input selector can be either pushbutton or rotary encoder controlled. Everything is remote controlled as well.

What rotary encoder do i have to get if i need one?

Do you need more than the one or two you get with the kit? :)
They are Alps 16mm encoders.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

audio_cf said:
If I have my own controll unit and just want the volume and input boards can I do that.?

Yes.

Can I get the schematic or a specification of the interface to the boards?

The specification is probably simpler than the schematics :) - you get both in the manuals of course.

Both boards have an SPI port (or rather a '595). On the attenuator board 0x00 means full attenuation and 0x3f means full volume. On the input board bits 1-5 are inputs (1 = on, 0 = off), bit 6 is tape monitor, bit 7 is mute and bit 8 is for a spare relay output.

[edit]If you are talking about the RelVol2 board, I can include a table showing the different settings[/edit]

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

One note for anyone considering purchising from Mikkel; go for it! although I've yet to implement and 'hear' my kit's I have them assembled and have not a single negative comment. They are very well thought through, the design is very clean and intuitive. There's nothing lacking in terms of options or configurability, ie. extra relay controls for whatever added controllable options you can dream up...My search for a good control solution was lengthy and i could not find anything in this class for any $ amount...maybe the Apox stuff but that ship has sailed. The quality is fantastic, especially for the price...just look at the balanced input board, it includes Neutrik's best XLR jacks, the telcom relays are of top quality and I bet they pass signal as well or better than any rotary switch. As soon as I finish my business 'must do' list I'm starting my personal 'to do' list which has my pre-amp project now at the top of it. I can hardly wait.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.