Zigmahornets on their way..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a few words (and questions ;) ) to say that I started my Zigmahornets today. Well, I am not very skilled, so I go s-l-o-w.. but I'm glad to start this project and give a new life to a pair of Foster 103, salvage from "Tunnel Reflex" cabinets..

Special thanks to Planet 10 for the clean plan.

Question: I find the sloped top a bit tricky to realise. Is it mandatory? or could it be just.. square? ;)

Could they equally be used with the Philips 4.5" whizzers??

Does the TQWT need some stuffing, padding?

I'm half way done.. but I want them to look nice too.. so, they "should" be ready for the week-end.

Have a good week!

Material choice

squalor said:
What material did you use for the cabinets ? What glue did you use ? Did you use screws ?

Hi Squalor,

I use baltic birch ply, 12mm. The few projects I've made using it, and comparing to "particle board" tell me there is a different "sonic signature", and since baltic birch is not that expensive, I choose it.. As well, not being a very good carpenter.. Baltic birch is so much easier to work with. It doesn't chip..

Glue? Most parts are cut, and I have not assembled anything yet, but I plan to use carpenter glue. (white glue)

Yes, I will use screws.

Up to now, what has caused me problems is the damned sloped top.

As well, I have made slight mods to the cabinets, so that I can interchange different drivers without altering to much the aesthetics.. So, it makes the design a little more complex, but it should give a "Grand" Zigmahornet.. :D

I placed a light layer of stuffing lining the sloped top as well as some directly behind the driver. Worked for me at least.
I'm not sure if the slope is a 100% requirement; I'm less than convinced about the point for a start, but the surface area seems good, so I'd say persevere.
Suggestion: mitre-cut the side panels first, then attach the front and rear baffles. Mitre the top of the rear and front baffles to the correct angle provided by the side panels, then simply add the sloping panel, slightly over-sized to the top. Then trim and plane into shape. Mine were built out of pine-board (you know the type) often used for shelves, and that's how I did it. There's other ways too of course -it depends how you've cut the vertical panels. Another way is to attach the sloping top panel to an un-trimmed side panel. Once it's dry, simply trim the side panel to fit -ditto for the others.
Best
Scott

Tops

Hi Scott,

Well, my english is not good enough to tell all the bad things I think of it and difficulties I encouter about those tops, and my skills are too basic..

I suspect the slope is more for the look than the sound, but I'll do it anyway.. :bawling:

The other aspect this going back to mom's garage reminds me, is the Zen aspect of the project.. The travel is the journey to.. not the point of arrival.. So, I must say that as a rush I was, I am just apreciating, rediscovering the pleasure of just being there, smelling sawdust, while listening to Schuman, Metheny, and others on the old Telefunken Concertion and it ligthtly humming supply..

Cheers.

P.S. and now that I have told everybody on the net I started this project.. I must do it. ;)

Zigmas and Buschorns

Faitour said:
Hi Sylvain,

I still use zigmahornets in my music system. I want more bass so I am looking at building some Buschhorns MKII's after Planet 10 praised them over the fostex backhorn cabinet.

Faitour

Hi Faitour,

I have no doubt I won't get "shaking foundation bass" with the Zigmas, but it is a starter project, it allows me to use these Foster 103, and learn a bit. (AND THEY LOOK GREAT!!) and when I wish more bass, I'll build a pair of Swans, while still using the Zigmas in my office.

I like great speakers, but I like them to look great too..

Keep in touch and let me know about your Buschorns. Sounds quite interesting.

p.s. the Foster 103 sounds so.. awful in its original "Tunnel Reflex" cabinet, that I was eager to try something else ;)

Cyburgs

JWFokker said:
To those who've heard both, which did you like better? The Zigmahornet or Cyburgs Needle. I may end up building both, but I was going to build a pair for my parents' living room. Considering that they're similar designs, how different are they sonically?

Hi,

First time I hear about the "Cyburgs Needle". Do you have a link or pic?

As for the Zigmahornets, I found them nice and slim, perfect for my bedroom or office. Next, this fall, I should give a try to the Swans 101.

Almost finished!

Well, since I wanted to make my first TQWT nice, and I have little experience with wood working, and not much spare time.. It sure took more time than expected, and I had to correct quite a few mistakes along the way. .. but the Zigmas are 90% complete..

Let's hope all the efforts won't lead to a pair of Zigmas in the back yard shed.

I'm eager to have my first listen soon.

Sloped Top Issues

I assume you could eliminate the sloped top by "boxing out" that portion of the speaker and adding an internal sloped piece? Right?

That would eliminate the need to 'make it pretty' and allow you to use chaulk or other sealant to make that angle, that you can't get away with on the outside of the speaker...

Just thinking in terms of speed of construction, or WAF for someone whose wife (like mine) asked if we had to have that slope on the top!

travis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.