Old Reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old reciever from the 1970s (JVC), and it works great and all except it's pretty noisy in the form of static when I turn up the gain, and the volume pot is noisy when moved too. Is there anyway to fix this easily?

I will be using this either for my midrange or tweeter in a triamped system.

Note that ths static is not horrible, but I am worried if I use it for the midrange (as I probably will) since the static is mostly in the midrange.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is it a Nivico? Those old ones used a single supply voltage and therefore were pretty nasty amps. There are a ton of coupling caps in there as well. Many may need changing. Try to see if there is any DC voltage across the volume control. Even a good control will be noisy if there is DC across it.

The midrange is critical and I bet you could build a better amp than that. No offence intended here.

-Chris

Oh I am not offended at all. I was planning on building my own amps actually, but my speakers had massive budget overruns, so I am trying to come up with something to run my new speakers with until I can upgrade the amps.

Just FMI how much would it cost to make a 100wrms x 2 amp @ 4 ohms, because I might be buying an onkyo amplifier this week for 90, and if I could do it for the same price (including all parts, and case, but not screws or tools obviously), I'd be willing to do it, if it was doable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bjackson,
Cost depends a lot on the amp chosen. Have a look and see what you like. Supplies +- 35~40 VDC will get you the power you are looking for.
Al least you can build all six channels in a similar way. The mid / high amps could go in one chassis since they will not put out much power with normal music. Two boxes instead of three. Much better for the wife acceptance factor.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.