My new toy (Marantz CD80)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up another Marantz CD80 today with some rather interesting internal mods in it, it has had all caps replaced (as far as I can see), op amps changed, relays changed, new belts, new clock, regulated PSU for said clock and a new digital output. Oh, and I think it's no longer oversampling. It is absolutely mint on the outside and it came with the orignal remote so I'm a happy bunny :D

Anywho, it sounds a damn sight cleaner and detailed than my unmodified CD80 yet still retains the best bits.

pics of internals

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Looks very well done, I particularly like the extra brackets and the tidy work.

Caps in the power supply are all original ( and 15 years old ) so there is still some work left for you ;) I have the impression it has a new output stage but the old one is still in it ( but bypassed ) and can be removed. I can't explain the function of the extra pcb near the output otherwise. I guess it is a commercially modded machine.

It is commercially done, I'm in the process of finding out exactly what's gone on inside it, but it has certainly improved the sound significantly, I'd like to put it up against some more modern expensive machines now, just a shame I don't have access to any! :lol:

I wouldn't be, I put my original CD80 against some expensive Arcam beast and prefered the CD80 by far. So did the dealer who was selling the Arcam...

One thing about it though is the muting circuits don't appear to be working properly, at switch on and off there are some really nasty pops, is there an easy way to diagnose/fix this? The relays do appear to switch on and off with the power but not at the same time as my other CD80. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

One thing about it though is the muting circuits don't appear to be working properly, at switch on and off there are some really nasty pops, is there an easy way to diagnose/fix this? The relays do appear to switch on and off with the power but not at the same time as my other CD80. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

I think its caused by the non oversampling mod in the digital filter. The relais are only operated by switching on and off, so not for muting.

Peter.

solution for the muting

I can't find the original (Maybe Jean Paul knows) So her the whole mod.

La 'nuova' Alta Fedelta'
IL DIGITALE NON OVERSAMPLING

DIGITAL NO-OVERSAMPLING
To start with
The old 16x4 Philips CD-players can be easily converted to no-oversampling-digital-filter-less CD-players.
Just open your CD-player and look for digital receiver SAA7210 (or SAA7310), for digital filter SAA7220 and
for converter TDA1541. If you find them you can start to work. Please, remember you can find the 16x4 Philips
chipset in many CD-player: Philips, Marantz, Quad, Cambridge, Rotel, Mission and more.
Best CD-players ever made are in my opinion: Revox-Studer B226, Philips CD960, Marantz CD94
(but they sound 'dark and old style' without any modifications). They all use the hard solid Aluminium mechanism
Philips CDM-1; IMHO nowadays the most CD transport mechanisms are very poor comparing to the old Philips Aluminium
CDM-1. Modifications are very easy: just cut 3 traces on MB and by-pass the digital filter SAA7220 using 3 cables
to get a real non-oversampling sound.
The TDA1541 DAC has three connections to the SAA7220 (word, clock and data):
from pin 18 of the SAA7220 to pin 1 of the TDA1541
from pin 16 of the SAA7220 to pin 2 of the TDA1541
from pin 15 of the SAA7220 to pin 3 of the TDA1541
Look for these traces and cut them carefully using a cutter or a small drill. Now, using miniature coax (RG196),
connect:
pin 39 of the SAA7210 (or pin 1 of the SAA7220) to pin 1 of the TDA1541
pin 38 of the SAA7210 (or pin 2 of the SAA7220) to pin 2 of the TDA1541
pin 37 of the SAA7210 (or pin 3 of the SAA7220) to pin 3 of the TDA1541

Done! You can close your CD-player and start your no-oversampling listening lession.
But... the muting function (in the SAA7220) has been bypassed and the CD-player will produce
pops and crackles when skipping tracks and when the music starts. To restore muting function
connect pin 23 of the SAA7220 to pin 11 of the SAA7210. Easy! I want to thank Ryan that first made
the no-oversampling modification, Carlo that first made the muting restore trick and Recce for technical help.

Mandatemi commenti, informazioni ed esperienze: marcoamboldi@libero.itBut... the muting function (in the SAA7220) has been bypassed and the CD-player will produce

Reactions: 1 user
fig 1

fig 1

Attachments

• fig 1.jpg
    fig 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 890
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.