Seas' T17 and T18 coaxial loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I've just finished my 2nd subwoofer project and since then I've decided to route all my <80Hz signals to the sub using my receiver. To up the bar on the surround speakers (now an assorted bunch of Mission loudspeakers) I've decided to build new ones.

I'm thinking of using Seas' T17 or T18 coaxial loudspeakers for all 6-channels as that would solve my time alignment problems as well, as I don't have to go for a mtm configuration for the center and all loudspeakers would truely be identical.

Unfortunately I've only found a handful of designs based on these loudspeakers of which Tony Gee's USB is close to what I'm looking for. But his design is the only 'audiophile' design I've seen, which is what I'm looking for, not some ill-researched sunday evening jobby. So what's with the lack of designs for these loudspeakers?

Am I missing something here, and are these coaxial loudspeakers not very well suited for the audio enthusiast? Or is there something else I missed?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Hi Sander, there is an official SEAS design for the T18 driver. Details can be found at the Madisound website.
This looks to be a good design, and is at least a good starting point.

the link is
www.madisound.com/Seas H1144 Box and Xover.pdf

Let me know if there is still information missing that you need. I have extensive experience of working with concentric drivers, so can give you some pointers.

Andrew

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Andrew,

I stumbled across that one also, as per my reply to Nisbeth, unfortunately that pdf is pretty vague, and doesn't list anything specific but a box volume and a proposed filter. What I'd like to know is the following:

- What are the benefits of using the T18 over the other coax drivers?
- What would be a preferable xover frequency for the T18?
- In a small 6-liter enclosure will I need to use baffle step correction in the filter?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

I plan on trying out the H1144 (T18 Coax) in a ML TQWT.

Below are models of it in MJK's Fostex FE-164 enclosure, with double the stuffing; I'm liking what I see.

Attachments

• ml tqwt_spl.jpg
    ml tqwt_spl.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 801
This is a textbook simulation, not very useful in real life! You should read up on filterdesign if you want to design your own speaker. If you just want a good working design, build something an experienced designer have made.

Also, remember that the the speaker shape it self is a part of the filterdesign. If you alter the dimentions of the cabinet, it will affect the filter response.

Edgar

I have never tryed this simulator before, but judging by the values you got, it's pretty close to a textbook filter. Have a look at at L2, it is way to small, it don't compensate for the baffleboost!
It's a long way from this filter to a good sounding filter, but if you want to learn how to design a speaker, it's good as any startinpoint.

Btw, the link i gave is not my design, it's the design og Stig Erik Tangen.

Good luck
Edgar

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Edgar,

You've got a point there, so I tried a different approach. I used SPLtrace (http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm) to plot the graph of the W172S driver from the Seas specification sheet for this driver. I ended up with two .frd files, one for the woofer, another for the tweeter, which are an accurate plot of the driver output in a anechoic chamber for a given volume (12-liter closed box in this case).

X-over Pro 3 accepts .frd files as input and will give you the option to either normalize the graph to 0dB using a given driver sensitivity (88 and 89dB in this case) or select a frequency band (between x Hz and y Hz) which is flat and level and normalize that to 0dB. I opted for the driver sensitivity option and proceeded to simulate the filter. Again by using the 7-liter closed box design from BassBox Pro 6 as a starting point.

I ended up with the below noted schematic and graph, what surprised me most is that I had to reduce the output of the tweeter by another 4dB, 6dB in total, when compared to the textbook simulation.

11499.gif

11498.gif

How's this for starters? Looks a lot different than before, any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.