Mirror tube chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I would like to ask if anyone has ever used a mirror as the top plate of the chassis.
I ask this because i have this neat idea for my tube preamp, but i'm still trying to find out how to cut the holes for the tubes (noval and octal) without breaking the glass...

Thank you for your help

Francisco

I realize you may have teh mirror around to play with and want to try, but.... the results will probably be less than desirable.

Sandblasting the holes is likely to work best. Simply because of the number of holes. This would also allow for venting the main holes as well. (surrounded by little vents) cover the entire mirror in a removable but solid ahdhesive sheeting of smoe sort, to prevent damage to the silvering layer.

yes, sandblasting would work excellently.

Also, there are MANY companies who sell mirrored sheets of temp grade palstic, both front and regualr surface mirrors. If this is an issue, there are many resellers of metal that is mirrored or chromed.

The sandblasting can be done. Ask some people in the area who do sanblasting of shapes in Mirrors and glass..
The hardware is realtively cheap, if you already have the compressor with the airflow rate. The ventilation, and the lung protection is CRITICAL. Specifically the lung protection

Have fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.