Quad els 63 fault diagnosis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm a newbie to the group and an avid hifi fan working in music production.
I have quad Els 63 with gradient sub woofers and also Quad 57s.
Also Mackie Hr824 monitors.

I have some faults with my quads and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.I am quite handy with Diy and will probably do the repairs myself where applicable

1 I have a fault to one of the Els 63 speakers as follows

There is a constant slight popping background sound in the region of the top to the middle of the second panel down.The popping sound occasionaly vanishes.Arcing occurs in that area when used to play the whole frequency
range at volume and the protective switch kicks in early. When used with
the subs (when the lower frequencies are bypassed for the Els) there is no arcing and the protective switch kicks in early but at a much louder volume.

2 There is also arcing in the region of the top of the treble panel to One Quad els 57.( I believe this is dealt with in a previous thread and will review it shortly)

Any suggestions to the causes of the faults would be greatly appreciated

3 Also not sure if i need to start an alternative thread for the next two points but would be interested to hear the groups views on comparisons between the Mackie Hr824 vs the Quads or indeed quality studio monitors vs quality hifi.

4 Also views on audio quality of sound cards and mixers etc used in modern production.I currently use Rme Hammerfall with Mackie 24:8 mixer

Many thanks

Eric Miller

The ESL-63 problem sounds like there is a split in the diaphragm. When the diaphragm splits, it tends to curl moving the curled part very close to the stator. The popping sound is caused by a small spark jumping between the diaphragm and stator.

The best repair is to replace the diaphragm. Once it splits the split will tend to propagate across the speaker over time, and it reduces the diaphragm tension. You can temporarily repair the problem with a piece of scotch tape to hold the curled part of the diaphragm flat. It will stop the popping, but it isn't a long-term fix.

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.