• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

interstage transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Living in Singapore where there are local winder that is able to do a custom transformer for my diy project have been a great advantage.

So far I have done some power transformer and all are working very well and good so far... no vibration, overheating or whatsoever. This gives me a 70% savings over on the shelves transformer.

For output trans, I have been Hammond and I think it is a good performer and value for money ( for what I can afford! ).

I am tempted to request the local winder to do the output trans and interstage line transformer. The problem is that I do not know how to inform the local winder on the specifications.

If anyone here can help ( as always been a great help ), how can I tell the local winder about output transformer and interstage line transformer.

Thanks,.

I wouldn't dream asking your winder to build outputs or interstages if they don't have a clue. The locally wound transformers a friend of mine once ordered were ridiculously inferior to even Hammond. You can get really cheap Lundahls in Sg, so why waste money?

Alternatively you can learn all there is to learn about designing audio transformers (quite a bit :)) and become your local winder's audio guru.

I have couple of friends who are professional winders transformers that is. They have no clue about making audio stuff further more they need access to the audio grade stuff like m6 or z11. Without them, it can be rather hard to make a trans suitable for audio. If they have not done audio stuff either then it is even worse. The audio stuff should be like for line matching and stuff. That gives them a rough starting clue where to begin
Sad to say that unless you know how to design an audio trans further more interstage having many local winders nearby would not help

Anymore on a lighter note, i am located up north in Malaysia. I do lots of audio trans for friends and stuff. If u like an interstage or a output trans made to spec let me know, i can help you out with one. I have a limited stash of Z11 core which is usefull for my diyer tinkerings.

Cheers
Nicholas

analog_sa said:
I wouldn't dream asking your winder to build outputs or interstages if they don't have a clue. The locally wound transformers a friend of mine once ordered were ridiculously inferior to even Hammond. You can get really cheap Lundahls in Sg, so why waste money?
Absolutely. If you can get Lundahls or other audio Tx's at reasonable prices, go for it, otherwise you're really just goung to end up with paperweights.

If interested in the Lundahls, there's a forum on Audio Asylum K&K run by the US distributor. Kevin is very knowledgable about the iron and helpful if you have questions, and there's probably an answer for most of them you might have in the archives already.

I have a lot of Lundahl transformers, and am a big fan of it.

All,

Thank you for the outright advice... so a winder that can do power trans may not have a clue of the audio output or interstage trans.

as for Nick C, and Roert Lee, if your interstage price is lower than the Lundhal 16650, then I am game for it... don't get me wrong, I am not implying your trans is inferior to lundahl, I am just talking about bottom line.

I just wants the value for money for sensible interstage line trans... Not planning to spend more than S$150 for interstage ( L+R)

Let me know...

I hear robert also makes some good interstages. Should be good too. Why don't u look him up?

Effindi
What specs are you looking for? I normally do mine with potting in wax with covers so they look more presentable
My price seems to fit your budget with extra budget to spare. Drop me a mail if you are interested
Cheers
Nicholas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.