Pyramid PR3000 Electronic Crossover?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Please don't laugh me off the forum: I have had pretty good luck with an electronic crossover from - gack! - Pyramid.... (I've also seen the same thing sold with a different name.)
One source (of many):
http://www.audioblowouts.com/Dj_Equipment_Pro_Audio/Rack_Mount_Crossovers/Pyramid-PR3000-6491
I know, ratty stuff, to be sure. But here are its advantages: Usually found for about $55-$65. Totally flexible, once the resistors are changed to suit your needs for crossover frequencies. Three-way, 12dB per octave, stereo crossover. Ranges can overlap. Uses RCA inputs and outputs. No turn-on or switching thumps and pretty quiet, reliable operation overall. Power supply and connectors easily upgraded (easy to disassemble and reassemble). Cosmetically quite acceptable. Switches and pots feel OK. 110V. Rack-mounted.
Realities: What do you expect for $55? It uses a crude inline op-amp package, so no real hope of upgrading them (Please prove me wrong!). Five FIXED frequencies for each range: these will need to be changed by swapping out the frequency-setting resistors (but that's a good exercise in active filter design).
Bottom line: With some simple resistor swaps, can be a useful tool in evaluating crossover frequencies and drivers. Not for serious audiophiles, but not total cr@p, either...

Tosh

Thanks for pointing out this site! I see some things on it I haven't found anywhere else, especially for the prices.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and for a biginner DIYer on a budget, sites like this can be a great place to start a system that can be built up and improved over time. It's also a great way to go up the learning curve without going broke if you make a mistake here and there. Thanks again!

I Take this old post about the pyramid PR 3000 electronic crossover or Pyle PYX3X . IMHO is very good compared to the cost benefit, use eight JRC4558 Sip, as said Andersonic is very flexible the resistors are changed to suit your needs for crossover frequencies.
The question is: is possible to replace the 4558 for better operational and if so which recommend?, Thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is quite the coincidence! And for two reasons:
1. I just replaced some resistors to set the low pass at 250Hz to start using it again on the bass only, after it has sat idle for years. And I also swapped all ~30 DC blocking caps for 22uF Elna Silmic, and also the PS diodes for soft recovery type.

2. Then the other day, by chance, I ran into a Sanyo LA6462S SIP-9 (yes, 9!) op amp (which is the goofy package this xo uses), so there are others out there (although I had stopped looking long ago). But I won't be swapping for this particular one, as the LA6462 8-SOIC is in a Marantz receiver I have, and it doesn't sound good....

There are SIP-8 adapters (from Brown Dog f.ex. ~$7?) one could use by adding a 'jumper,' but that runs the cost up quite a bit, as there are, what, 11 op amps in there?

Attachments

• Sanyo LA6462M datasheet.pdf
    108.6 KB · Views: 52
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Recently I have selected resistor combinations in order to change the crossover frequencies to more useful values, esp for the top range. Now they are 2k, 2.3k, 2.6k, 3.3k, 4k and in the bottom range 50, 90, 280, 400, and 450.

For long life and less charring, the three 1/2W resistors on the PS board should be spaced off the pcb.

Anyone else have one of these?