***CDs Now Playing - Part II***

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finding good recordings is not an easy task. If everyone posted info on the best (or worst) of their collection, the rest of us would have a leg up on future purchases. In that light, this should be confined to CDs.

I buy a lot of CDs on ebay and there is a particular format the most sellers use which have short reviews of the music from the likes of Rolling Stone Magazine but without mention of sound quality. I've gotten some good music that sounds so bad it's not worth playing.

I propose that Now Playing- Part II not only has the album name and artist but also a mention of the sound quality, artistic quality and music genre.

This would be of more value to the community.

I propose the format of the postings to be as follows:

Group: The Cars
Album: Heartbeat City
Genre: Pop
Sound Quality: Very Good; clean; good bass
Performance: Well done.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like the sound of Yellow Moon by The Neville Brothers.
Producer Daniel Lanois.
From the same Daniel Lanois I've got Shine, I think his latest album and on Slow Giving the guitars are (I hope) deliberately so distorted that I dislike the song only for that reason.
Otherwise it's a nice recording, specially the first track has some rather low bas tunes good for testing the quality of you subs. :)

/Hugo

Oops...
Here you go:

Group: The Neville Brothers
Album: Yellow Moon
Genre: World Music.
Sound Quality: Clarity is exeptional
Performance: Great artists

Group: Daniel Lanois
Album: Shine
Genre: Rock Pop
Sound Quality: Good, too much distortion on some songs/guitars
Performance: Top artist/producer

I forgot to respect your format, read your first post too fast.
Still I prefer to add some personal touch and explanation.
I'm sure you don't mind.

/Hugo :)

cd today

GROUP: Chicago symphony Orchastra - Fritz reiner conducting

ALBUM : Beethoven "Pastoral Symphony"(JVC XRCD -originaly RCA living Stereo LSC-2614

GENRE : CLASSICAL

SOUND QUALITY : very good considering original recording was 1961
some may say a little dull

performance: One of the best - its a 9 course meal

Re: Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

gmilitano said:
Group: Tom Petty
Album: Full Moon Fever
Genre: Rock/Pop
Sound Quality: Excellent. Rich, detailed, great imaging & soundstage.
Performance: Exceptional

Im with this one. Top Petty is great..

Ill add one.

Group Dido
Album No Angel
Gener Pop soft.
Sound Quality Yes i play it alot.

Group Dido
Album White Flag
Gener Pop soft.
Sound Quality Awesome

Group: Doug Sahm and the Texas Tornados
Album: 4 Aces
Genre: Tex-Mex
Sound Quality: Very Good: clean undistorted vocals and instruments (with slight compression though)
Performance: Excellent

I'm mostly a jazz guy, but this disk just completely bowled me over. It's a unique combination of musical styles and cultural influences. The musc and musicians have heart, soul, humor, charm, and swing. I'm getting more Doug Sahm disks for sure.

Group: Quicksilver Messenger Service
Album: Happy Trails
Genre: Acid Rock/Blues
Sound Quality: Fair - Some harshness on the vocal tracks hold it back from good.
Performance: John Cippolina was a master of the tremolo amp + wah pedal. Check out the tracks "Mona" and "Calvary". I may overrate this because it's my first musical memory. My mother got this when I was age five.

Most seem to be posting the BEST of their favourite recordings from their collection, so I thought I would go for the option that Bill allowed, and select the WORST (I have too many CDs to select the best, anyway).

Group: The Graham Bond Organisation
Album: Person to Person Blues
Genre: Blues
Sound Quality: Really very very bad, but forgivable when you consider it was recorded live in a nightclub in 1965.
Performance: A storming but perhaps slightly emotionless performance that included 2/3 of what would become Cream a few years later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.