Building a new HT system, need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I now at the situation of having to decide which drivers to buy for my speakers for the home theatre system.

At the moment I have a mismatch of speakers, all home made designs. Currently the mains are the MTM Vifa P17Wj 6.5" woofers and the D25 Aluminum Tweeters, while the rears are Response bookshelf speakers. (no centre atm)
The subs are the Vifa MR 25 10", which are in two 60 ltr ported boxes.

I have two options.

1) build the rears and centre the same as my current mains, with the P17's so all 5 match.

or

2) change the drivers to another type and build all 5 from scratch.

If i went the later, what drivers would people recommend for a MTM set up with the 2 Vifa Subs.

One contender is using the peerless HDS 850467 6.5" woofers paired with either a vifa or the hds tweeter.

Are there any other speakers in that sort of price range which would be another option instead?

Thanks for any help.
:)

My mains are the same as yours . I made a centre using a p17 & d25 tweeter because i dont need shielded driver .

I am in the process of building some new rears using some smaller vifa drivers .

the reason I am going that way is that i like the sound of vifa drivers & in my budget .

it would be cheaper for you to make a center & some new rears then starting all over again

If your happy with sound of them why change.

I guess.

No matter how much a person spends on a pair of speakers, a thought is always in the back of one's mind, that maybe if they used other drivers, the speakers would sounded even better.

Just that spending money on 5 more loudspeakers, just seeing if there was an alternative or better choice before commiting myself.

I have no complaints about my Vifa's, and have had them for around 5 years now. (in several different box designs over the years)

And with building the centre, shielding won't be a problem for me either, as it will be used in a projector only environment, which makes it easier to match all the drivers.

My mains are the same . I made a centre using the p17& d25 .

because i dont need shielded. I am also making some new rears out of the TC series of drivers from vifa at the moment .

Mainly becauseI like the sound of the vifa's & they fit my budget .

I figure if i like it why change

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.