can anyone identify this lovely vintage FR driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just scored a pair of these 5" drivers on the bay. They were described as being out of some 1960's hi-fi gear. The ceramic magnet is unusually huge for this era and the VC seems large. I was hoping these might be a vintage Fostex or similar. Can anyone identify them for me? The grilles that they came with are a possible clue, although they would portray the finished speaker cabinet brand, not the driver necessarily. Thanx.

Did I score treasure or junk?

Planet 10, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 47_1.jpg
    47_1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 331
Bill,

I have a pair of Electrohome hanging speakers that each contain a single driver with a steep cone like the Ohm Walsh transducer. They use the back of the cone as does the Walsh. They have fairly large ceramic disc magnets and I'd be surprised if they were newer than 1960's. I sure hope your rather doom and gloom prognosis is in error. I hate wasting my hard to come by money. Thanx for the reply.

Anyone else? Dave?

tomtt said:
auratone used simlar drivers
mcgee radio sold those for
what numbers are on the back?

The best I can read from the auction pics are two rows of numbers. In the first row I see 2445 and then a 5th symbol illegible, possibly an "N". In the second row it looks like 285 7256.

I guess 7256 looks suspiciously like a date code giving credence to Bill's theory.

The best I can read from the auction pics are two rows of numbers. In the first row I see 2445 and then a 5th symbol illegible, possibly an "N". In the second row it looks like 285 7256.

This appears to be a standard format EIA coding except for the last two digits, i.e. '285' denotes Rola, '72' the year, and '56' the week, but of course there's only 52 weeks, so.......
GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.