• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

need a good low parts phono tube preamp schematic....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gotta make a christmas present there for my electronics mentor figured since he's got boxes and boxes of vinyl (around 5000) i'd finally make him a preamp, anyone got any good designs? i've got about 2 or 3 matched pairs of 12au7's i'd like to use up, i've looked on the net and am having trouble finding much..

Look in the back of the RCA tube manual. One of the sample circuits is a tube phono preamp with RIAA curve. it is based on one 7025. (12AX7) I would think the 12AU7 was a bit low gain for the application. Very simple circuit. You would need one per channel. SO two 12AX7 and a handful of small parts. You also need power supply.

You could probably make something with one 12AX7, but I don't see how you could get RIAA that way.

Gday.

Ohashi looks interesting,
with 3x12AX7/ECC83 and 12. res/log , 4. cap`s
it`s "low part". Haven`t a clue about the sound,
but i assume minimal use of passive components
can speak for quality. It shouldn`t sound worse than AR SP3
i reckon. Have you looked at the phono stage of the
Audio Innovation 500.

:)

Attachments

• ai500phono.png
    ai500phono.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 6,405
Konnichiwa,

Rockmonton said:
gotta make a christmas present there for my electronics mentor figured since he's got boxes and boxes of vinyl (around 5000) i'd finally make him a preamp, anyone got any good designs? i've got about 2 or 3 matched pairs of 12au7's i'd like to use up, i've looked on the net and am having trouble finding much..

Well, the 12AU7 is not particulary useful in a Phonostage.

If you can scrounge up a single ECC83/12AX7 and a single ECC88/E88CC/6922 you could build the Phonostage I described here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=335624#post335624

The thread following on has a lot of discussion on this, suitable PSU, implementation etc....

Sayonara

planet10 said:

It lacks the undocumented time-constant, but here it is

From the 1966 RCA Receiving Tube Manual.

dave

Are 12AX7 close enough to a 7025 for use with this schema? If not, is there an RIAA schematic for 12AX7? I'd be looking for a simple design, one 12AX7 per channel, no output transformer and about 30-40dB gain (for MM phono).

Any leads or info is always appreciated.
Gio.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GG said:
Are 12AX7 close enough to a 7025 for use with this schema? If not, is there an RIAA schematic for 12AX7? I'd be looking for a simple design, one 12AX7 per channel, no output transformer and about 30-40dB gain (for MM phono).

A 7025 is a 12AX7 -- supposedly selected for higher performance, but in practise the variations are such that it is a no care.

dave

The "RCA circuit with RIAA Eq"

I have that('66 RCA tube manual), that schematic, and I would like to consctruct that phono preamp to connect my phonograph directly to my headphone preamp.

I can build it; it is a very simple circuit.

BUT...

QUESTIONS...

The +250V; where does it come from (this question goes for all 12AX7/7025-based preamps)? Can I incorporate a solid-state voltage control? I need to build a self-contained preamp; a unit that goes on it's own shelf.

If I was put in an empty room and told that I needed to construct this thing I would use a 250 V transformer and a couple of diodes wired for full-wave rectification. I wouldn't know how to filter the voltage, so as to make it a "smooth", or "constant" 250 V, though.

OTHER QUESTIONS...

Is -V applied to anything?

Is any voltage applied to the heater of the tube?

If anyone has an answer could they please post a detailed message or simple shematic on the subject of the +V control?

Should I know the answer to all these questions by now?

Thanks,

Trevor

Re: The "RCA circuit with RIAA Eq"

Konnichiwa,

Sir Trefor said:
I can build it; it is a very simple circuit.

BUT...

QUESTIONS...

The +250V; where does it come from

<snip>

Should I know the answer to all these questions by now?

May I STRONGLY urge you to read the Phonopreamp Thread I referred to earlier?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=526022#post526022

You may find most of your answers there.

Sayonara

Yes... I am getting closer

Thank you, Keui

The thread was very long, and I have difficulty maintaining focus while reading something as aimless as a forum thread, but I did gather some things from it.

I also did what I should have done before posting; I checked my personal resources.

I found out that the heater of a 12AX7 is powered by AC/DC 12.6V(series), 6.3V(parallel). That answers one question.

I will post more later.

I have attached a shematic I made that shows the extent of my knowledge of voltage control; rectification- that's all I know. But Keui, did you mention that a 100% regulated is not necassarily crucial to the tube's function? According to "A Taste of Tubes"(pub. by Sonic frontiers in 1998) A Voltage regulator consists of a (1)trasformer, (2)rectifier, (3)Filter, (4)regulator, and a (5)bleeder/divider. That explantion also includes a helpful schematic; but the schematic uses several tubes and appears needlessly complex for this application.

What is an RC filter? NOT what does and RC filter do... what is it physically composed of? Is it similar to a capacitor?

Attachments

• 250rectifier.gif
    250rectifier.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,286
Correction

I was thinking about the schematic I posted yesterday while I was driving today, and I realized it isn't a full-wave rectifier; I just wanted to post this so that I don't lose too much credibility.

-Trevor

PS- I have found most of the information that I need in my tube manuals.

Re: Correction

Konnichiwa,

Sir Trefor said:
What is an RC filter? NOT what does and RC filter do... what is it physically composed of? Is it similar to a capacitor?

An RC filter is composed out of R(esistor) and C(apacitor) elements. I gave an example (including circuit diagram and performance graphs) in the cited thread that allows a simple passive supply to be build for the Phonocircuit I recommend and which has a noise performance by far superior to ANY active regulation circuit and which offers much better transient load tolerance etc, at the price of a few capacitors and resistors of moderate quality.

You also want to supply the Valve heaters of the phonocircuit with DC to avoid noise from the heaters coupling into the signal circuit. A simple regulated 6V supply is sufficient.

BTW, the simplicity of the circuit I suggest, also of it's powersupply is rather deceptive, the performance is very high.

Sayonora

A very simple low parts count RIAA pre-amp I know of consist of just a single EF86 per channel....
It actuallt sounds much better than the crudy RCA ones...
The RCA ones are slow sounding and distorted....total lack of detail and air....not to mention the time constantsd were off the mark..
If interested let me know I will post it...
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.