• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pro Model Tubes,for example Avalon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Out of curiousity I was wondering why nobody has modeled or cloned a Avalon 737?

further more Since I don't see anybody doing them
is there any Mic Pre - Amp that is DIY that can rival the avalon?

to actually re-create a Avalon would be brillant
but to get something that could rival and actually be built would be smart ....

where would i begin? could it be as simple as using the same tube the avalon uses ..... or,damn ...... where to start where to start .....

any opinions?

I actually don't see too many people building Tube[valve] Mic Pre's
lots of Solid states though

How would the old Neve 72s sound compared to avalon styled Mic Pre? i've never heard a Neve before....

nor a telefunk .... :smash:

thnx and goodnite/morning

Ben Dreenkin said:
Out of curiousity I was wondering why nobody has modeled or cloned a Avalon 737?

Get me a schematic and I'll happily clone one. The one we had on loan had to go back recently and everyone was disappointed. Unfortunately the owner, who knows my pull-it-to-bits tendencies well, made me swear not to even open the case.

further more Since I don't see anybody doing them
is there any Mic Pre - Amp that is DIY that can rival the avalon?

to actually re-create a Avalon would be brillant
but to get something that could rival and actually be built would be smart ....

where would i begin? could it be as simple as using the same tube the avalon uses ..... or,damn ...... where to start where to start .....

any opinions?

Actually, what we use as the 'clean' input now, is much better than the Avalon, but it doesn't have the tonal and other shaping controls.
What we use now is one of these with the RIAA stage removed and the gain dropped a bit.

When I get thetime, I'll also build a copy of the RCA BC2B now that you can get duplicate iron for them. K&K have a kit but I'd just get the specific iron and build with what I have on hand (>1 tonne of power supply iron). Got a feeling one of these might be nice for vocals and geetar amp mics.

I actually don't see too many people building Tube[valve] Mic Pre's
lots of Solid states though
I think it's down to there being much less of a DIY aspect to a lot of Pro audio stuff, and the fact that people with successful studios can afford to simply buy nice gear and smaller studios are struggling to survive and don't neccessarily have the time or inclination to build. It's harder to draw in a customer with 'diy' gear, even if it's better, than being able to advertise racks or 'name' gear. If I had the bucks, the Avalon would be second string, with some of the VSE designs linked above for mic preamps and some Pultechs or Manly Massive Passives for shaping before hitting some Prism ADC's or (better yet) a re-engineered Studer or Ampex reel.

Re: Re: Pro Model Tubes,for example Avalon

Brett said:

Get me a schematic and I'll happily clone one. The one we had on loan had to go back recently and everyone was disappointed. Unfortunately the owner, who knows my pull-it-to-bits tendencies well, made me swear not to even open the case.

I'd be more than happy just by finding out the type of tube they use in the 737s and moving along from there...
How can i get the schematics? Im to broke to buy it,thats why I'd like a shot at imatating it..... [ the tube pre-amp section at least].

Brett said:

I think it's down to there being much less of a DIY aspect to a lot of Pro audio stuff, and the fact that people with successful studios can afford to simply buy nice gear and smaller studios are struggling to survive and don't neccessarily have the time or inclination to build.

I got the time and the inclination
;)

really to be able have that same style of sound,would be wonderful! :angel: :angel:

Ben

On Prodigy forum, users have a general rule that they don't post schematics and trying to clone current production stuff, it's mostly about vintage gear. You will have hard time finding a schematics and you will probably have to discuss it using email and not in public. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.