New: JLTi Mark 2 & www.tnt-audio.com review...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

Maybe this thread should really be called "The Quiet Revolution..." G. Husband.

Rare for me to start a thread all its own. As some of you guys realise I have been rather busy. This posting should help explain why.

The www.tnt-audio.com review by Geoff Husband (who did the earlier Lab 47 Gaincard review) of the JLTi Mark 1 was posted on Sunday:

www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/jlti_e.html.

It's called Mark 1 because Mark 2 is now almost out, within days actually. This is what it looks like:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Like it? The rear is not a bad look either:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All those rear RCA sockets and speaker terminals are cryogenetically treated. The tubes likewise as well as critical internal wiring. And... it sounds as good as it looks.

More info on website members.ozemail.com.au/~joeras

Leaving Sunday for Europe via Tokyo. Will attend the European Triode Festival 2004, meet up with the erstwhile Allen Wright in Munich and travel to ETF together. Will bring one of these babies under arm.

Re the review, Mark 2 is much better still and the old review sample will be updated to mostly Mark 2 and returned to Geoff Husband for hopefully further comment.

Joe R.

Very smart stuff Joe.

I didn't realise that you could cryogenetically treat the output sockets and wiring as well as the tubes. It's the sort of thing that I may usually be a bit sceptical of; except that coming from you, I don't doubt that it works.

After something else just as amazing that I heard about recently, I am reminded to keep an open mind on any hi-fi tweak, no matter how incredible it may sound! ;)

And a good review on TNT! It does me good to hear such praise for a chip amp by a respected reviewer although in truth, it's nothing that I haven't discovered for myself. I wonder if Mr Husband will notice the difference with the Mk II and its T-network feedback! :att'n:

Nuuk said:
Very smart stuff Joe.

I didn't realise that you could cryogenetically treat the output sockets and wiring as well as the tubes. It's the sort of thing that I may usually be a bit sceptical of; except that coming from you, I don't doubt that it works.

Thanks Nick, for the vote of confidence. Yes, it works well with copper and brass based materials. BTW, there is a guy in the States that cryo brass musical instruments and he confirms that it indeed changes the sound in a way that musicians/clients like. It's applicable to other things, like chokes used in crossovers, and... would you believe... output transformers. We are also going to test foil and metalised foil caps. Feel confident that foils will respond well, but metalised... ? But key crossover components are definite possibilities. How about speaker stands? No joke, but it was tried and the results liked.

And a good review on TNT! It does me good to hear such praise for a chip amp by a respected reviewer although in truth, it's nothing that I haven't discovered for myself. I wonder if Mr Husband will notice the difference with the Mk II and its T-network feedback! :att'n:

There is a fair bit of new stuff in the Mark 2, and it's not a case whether he can hear the change, but whether he likes it.

As far as I know, this is only the second chip amp with an official review in Europe. Elsewhere there has been a few, such as Peter Daniel's and Final Labs in Stereophile. But they have been few overall. The Lab 47 has dominated what has been published so far.

Did you see Geoff Husband's quote: "The Quiet Revolution." ?

On with the Revolution!

Joe R.

Pedja said:
Congratulations, Joe!

Well done new case, like it better than previous.

Plan to land in Serbia within this Oz – Japan - Germany route? A chance to hear you_know_what…

Pedja

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately not able to take you up on that offer. BTW, using that triple-D in a non buffer situation as the bottom of a cascoded differential input stage (a la RTP preamp in 'Schematics' section of www.vacuumstate.com) with tube on top and long-tail fet CS at the bottom. It seems cascoded circuits like a LOT of transconductance on the bottom section....

Joe R.

Franz G said:
Hi Joe

good news! I am looking forward to meet you at the triode festival!

See you soon!

BTW: I will take my version with me, so we could compare them :)

Franz

OK. Look out for me, I am the pudgy looking rotund one... :bigeyes:

What, do you swim across Lake Constance (Bodensee)? You'll catch a chill.

Did you hear the joke: Q: "So you came from Hawaii. Honolulu?" A: "No, on a surfboard."

Getit?

Joe R.

PS: Only 80, limited by Christian and Wolfgang, this year they didn't publish a list like they did previously. At least I couldn't find any, otherwise I would have seen your name.

BACK TO WORK!!!!!!

Nuuk said:

It's a bit late now, but 'Revolution' would have been a great name for these amps when we were looking for an alternative to 'Gainclone'.

Anyway, so long as no guillotines are involved, I'm up for the revolution! ;)

Get some sleep Nick, don't be an insomniac. You sleep, I gotta work, amps to build, trip to prepare.

I think somehow somebody has already used 'Revolution' as a brand name? www.revolutionaudio.ca.

JOE, BACK TO WORK, NOW!!!

Boy, am I a mean task manager.

Joe R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.