• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help in circuit analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No analysis required

G'day Fossil,
No analysis required - current is set by the J FET characteristics.

Do a search for a data sheet for the 2SJ74
eg http://www.ampslab.com/PDF/2sj74.PDF is where I found it.

Look on page 2, the static characteristics graph.
For VGS=0 (Gate and Source wired together in the schematic)Drain current = 16mA.

The tubes will share this fairly well and the 10R cathode resistors will help force them to share even better.

So 8mA each tube.

Cheers,
Ian

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If anyone needs to service that circuit I'd recommend selecting the 6922 for matched halves.

Should that not prove feasible for some reason it would have been a better idea to use a CCS per cathode (with the proper current per triode of course) and use individual coupling caps with the outputs combined.

Either way, as SY points out, IDDS is pretty variable in most FETs and I'd even select the devices if they were to be CCDs anyway.

Why you'd want to use a 6922 in // as a CF for a preamp is beyond me: a single half of that tube would have sufficiently low Zout to drive anything with a more or less normal Zin, be sufficiently low noise not to be audible and an awfull lot more stable in operation as well....

Cheers, ;)

Fossil,

My Chinese skills have certainly seen better days, but I assume you are interested in this circuit because (from what I can gather from the text) this is the first and only valve circuit offered by DiyZone, and they can provide PCBs?

I agree with Frank that parallel 6922s for a preamp is overkill and will probably lead to other problems.

Replacing the FET CCS with a single bipolar may be a better idea since you can set the current easily (by either changing the curernt set resistor or the reference voltage at the base). Don't aim for an ultra-high Z current sink, since the next stage will ruin all of that with its input impedance. Anyway, at least in my part of the world, bipolars are cheaper and more readily available than FETs.

If you need help designing something, there are people on this forum willing to help :) You don't really need the PCB. Old-fashioned point to point would work fine, especially since designs like this may contain more components and complexity in the power supply than the signal section itself :D

BTW: From what I can gather, DiyZone is a bit of a dirty word around here, especially on the Pass Labs forum...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.