Is it possible to modify a US DVD/SACD player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure this is the right thread, moderators are welcome to step in if needed.

There are a couple of Sony 400 DVD/SACD/CD/MP3 changers that I am quite interested in, because they would solve all of my problems at a relatively cheap price. The models are:
- DVP-CX985V
- DVP-CX777ES
Both models are available in the US only and they can only read NTSC / Region 1 DVDs

The focus of my interest is the audio section, but it would be nice if I could use them for DVD video as well, but for doing that I've got to get rid of the NTSC limitation and (maybe) of the region locking. I think that both limitations are software only.

I assume that Sony doesn't manufacture the player from scratch, it must be based on some other more popular model. If I found out which stand alone model they are based on, I could shop for some modded software...

Can anybody suggest which model these machines resemble to and/or how to remove the NTSC limitation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.