• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Let me start by appologizing for not showing the requisite DIY enthusiasm you all share here. I admire it tremendously and hope to make DIY component building a part of my own life when the time is right. For now I've got zero experience with circuit, etc, plus I've got too much on my plate these day (2nd child due in less than a month) to start learning. So please excuse my ignorance and consider lending me your expertise.

I'm currently using a D.C. Darling (which I obviously did not build myself) and I've sincerely miss the tight imaging of a SS. The Darling, sweet as she sounds, is a little weak on imaging (perhaps my Darling or a simple trait of 1626 tubes). Plus, I'd like to keep the tubes around for but for daily listen something less incindiary will be safer with children amuck. Anyhow, I'd like to try using a well built gainclone with an equivilant (or heartier) amount of power than the Darling. If you have experience building these amps and a good reputation for successful design, I'd be very happy to commission your help. The amp does not need to be newly built, in fact, I'd prefer to buy one that has been listened too and deemed rightous.

Please email me offers or advice on how to proceed (perhaps somebody here routinely builds and sells?). Also, if it makes mucha of a difference, I'll be driving Cornwalls soon enough but am currently driving (conservatively rated) 87dB/W/m monitors.

Thanks,
Steven

more details

In reply to a few questions.

I'm not looking for anything special in an enclosure - not styish, not compact, not glassy, not super durable, simply functional and inexpensive. I can, at my liesure, build a better enclosure to match the decor if deemed necessary. A gutted VHS player could offer a great enclosure - think creatively.

For the cost of labor I'm told a ESP P01 would be equivilantly simple to build. I wish I knew weather it would be a better fit, suffice to say I'm really so curious about the chip amp sound that I'd like to be the first person on my block to have one. Plus, I'm chiefly concerned with costs and the GC is going to run the cheapest.

Which GC configuration then? Well, I don't know. I'm hoping you know. I'm hoping you've been around the audio kingdom to know what I'm currently using (DC Darling). If you haven't heard these amps, think of a weak 2A3 (yes, that nice and that weak). So, I don't need power, just the configuration that'll provider the best imaging and inner detail a chip amp can provide.

Money, this all runs into money too. Well, depending on the experience and persuasive powers of the builder to talk me into mnore expensive deisgns that'll please my ears (blah blah blah)... <$500 for sure. I imagine a GC could be had for less than half that price building from a $40 kit and a temporary enclosure.

-Steven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.