JRC4558, please tell me, what makes them so great?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using 5532's and thought I'd give the 4558's a shot.

I tested them before but they seemed to make my sound a little TOO transparent.
Since I'm using a digital modeler again, I'm thinking I want my sound as transparent as possible now.
Some of the amp models sound VERY natural, not processed what so ever. Others have that digital undertone that is not exactly pleasing.

I've learned coupling digital gear with a hefty amount of solid state gain or really just bandwidth gain VIA EQ, tube preamp or whatever the method, totally de-digitalizes the sound.

I'd still prefer not to be boosting bass at 80hz and treble at 10khz so heavily.
Thinking the 4558's will allow me to back it down some.

So aside frm my thread question, Which ones are better.
The RC4558IP or the RC4558P?

Both being manufactured by Texas Instruments of course:D

I got um

Well I got the high end Texas Instruemnt versions and toyed with those for a few days.

It was a bit muddy like tube, but far too noisy for my tastes.

My amps circuit has a dual op amp in the buffer stage, the gain stage and in the active bandpass filter.

I liked the sound, but not all the noise.
Ended up keeping it in the bandpass filter which worked out well because that circuit plays such a big role in shaping your sound.

The 5532's are back in the first two stages and still gave a great tube like tone.
......I just wish I knew what cap I need to change to drop down the mid band it boosts and cuts.
I need a lower frequency so it's able to get muddier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.