optical pickups

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
djQUAN said:
hmmm, just wondering, what difference does it make in comparison to traditional pickups?(other than it can be used with non metal strings....)
I've heard a few soundclips, but they vary too much to be able to say, they sound like ......
But I am interested in trying some. As ther is no magnetic "pull" on the strings from conventional pickups the higher harmonic content and sustain are said to be much greater.

I spoke with my luthier today and he's willing to supply a neck for the spare unfinished body I have to try a set of Lightwaves out. I just have to find the money for a set now.

A modern version......

There's much more modern light sensor pickups out there, but I'll be damned if I have been able to find them.
I've seen them in Popular Science and on several TV programs.

The modern ones use lasers and I must say the samples I heard on TV proved they completely blow away passive and active pickups.

No noise, absolutely no sustain cut out or phasing and the utmost tonal purity.

Thing is, I can't find the damn things anywhere!

Hey if anybody knows, clue me in. Until then, guess I'll keep searching......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.