• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

looking for schematic with 6em7 as a driver or...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built Gray Kaufmans 6em7 DC coupled amp and really like the sound of it. The only trouble is that the output power is little low (<1W). Does anyone know of a good output tube to use that would mate well with the 6em7? I've never designed a tube amp before but if I have a place to start, ie. output tube, I could try with the help of you guys here on this board. Of course the best option would be to just have a schematic and start building.

What if I just used another 6em7 an hooked up only the power triode in parallel similar to the DC double Darlings? Would this work? Any other ideas to consider?

Funny you should post. A couple weeks back, I reworked the common cathode 6EM7 voltage/driver stage on my 300b PP amp to direct coupled ala Gary Kaufman. Sounds very nice. You could go with a SE:SE with about any output tube you're interested in. If your output tranny is 3K now, 300B, 2A3, 6B4 are all possibilities.

Attachments

• 300bpp.jpg
    300bpp.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 936
Funny you should post. A couple weeks back, I reworked the common cathode 6EM7 voltage/driver stage on my 300b PP amp to direct coupled ala Gary Kaufman. Sounds very nice. You could go with a SE:SE with about any output tube you're interested in. If your output tranny is 3K now, 300B, 2A3, 6B4 are all possibilities.

Gary,
any preferred/recommended brand of 6EM7 or do they all pretty much sound the same driving a 300B?
TIA,

Jose,

Whatever your choice in 6EM7, the first triode has a 2:1 variance in gain from tube to tube even among tubes of the same brand and construction. You must try a few in your circuit and pick two with similar gains or channel balance will be way off.

I used the 6EM7 as a driver in an augmented cathode follower amplifier following a 1955 patent. It worked very well once I found some good tubes.

The schematic is in post #11 of this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/118289-6336-rectifier.html

The discussion of the circuit is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...wer.html?highlight=augmented+cathode+follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.