New Thor TL's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: New Thor TL's

rcavictim said:

Nice job. To attach the grilles invisibly you could have buried neodemium magnets under the front veneer in 4-6-8 places and had matching magnets mounted in the grille frame.

I like the idea of "buried" magnets as a grille fixing. Have you got any details/pics of such? I'm no magnet buff - are these freely available.

Re: Re: Re: New Thor TL's

greenie512 said:

I like the idea of "buried" magnets as a grille fixing. Have you got any details/pics of such? I'm no magnet buff - are these freely available.

It isn't exactly rocket science, although the formulation of these amazingly strong modern neodemium-iron-boron magbets would probably qualify as such. You can get little ones that are 1/2" diameter and about 3/16" - 1/4" thick that would be perfect for this application if you search ebay. You might pay a dollar each in this size. They are very strong and shatter easily when allowed to jump towards each other. They also do a great job painfully pinching skin so be careful. I'd use epoxy to secure the magnets into a hole recess drilled into the cabinet so that the magnet is buried flush with the surface. Once cured apply the veneer. Mark the magnets with a sharpie felt pen so, that you have all the same pole facing the veneer in the cabinet. N or S doesn't matter. Then make sure the magnets you glue into the grille panel are properly oriented to attract rather than repell. Make sure all your magnet holding holes in the cabinet front and the grille panel are all perfectly aligned before gluing magnets in place.

Once done remove the grille by sliding sideways to get the magnets apart. Pulling straight out might potentially break a magnet under the veneer loose and actuall punch out through the veneer. Yes these are strong little tuggers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.