front load W horn???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is a front loaded W horn suitable for an eminence beta15?

if so does any one know where i can get plans for a front loaded W horn? i know they where published in the Fane spkr book, but i cant find one anywhere.

plus help on tunning it would be apreciated. cheers guys, steve.. ..

centre bass bin for PA system,

usable freq. of speaker is 35hz to 4khz resonance at 35hz

so i can pick it anywhere from 30hz to 8khz on active cross over, probly low pass its upper limit at 3khz coz thats where the tops take over

power 350watt but only running at 300watt

how does that sound? is it any good? will it work? cheers for the help, steve.. ..

psychosteve said:
centre bass bin for PA system,

usable freq. of speaker is 35hz to 4khz resonance at 35hz
Not in a W bin it won't be.
so i can pick it anywhere from 30hz to 8khz on active cross over, probly low pass its upper limit at 3khz coz thats where the tops take over
35 genuineHz from a horn in halfspace is no mean feat, and you'll not likely get within a decade of 4.5kHz. Every commercial W bin design I've ever seen is too short, and has way too small a mouth to support anything like 35Hz. The top end will be seriously attenuated by the 180 degree folds in the horn and 400-500Hz will likely be the upper limit in any decently designed W, with any driver. It's best to design a horn with the intention of getting about a decade of response out of it.
power 350watt but only running at 300watt

how does that sound? is it any good? will it work? cheers for the help, steve.. ..
Bad. No. No.

I just looked at the B15 datasheet again. Not really suitable for a horn. It's EBP is too low, it has a gutless motor and I'm not sure if the cone is specced correctly for the loads it will endure at high power in a horn. We have some in the workshop (I think) and I'll look tomorrow, but I'd say it's a scratching. The PD drivers are a great idea, but not cheap.

Best DIY-able LF basshorn is the LAB, but I wouldn't use it above 100Hz or so. And it's a bee-atch to build.

Bill Fitzmaurice has a design called the Tuba30 that might do the job for you. Not built it, but I have the plans and will get around to it soon.

Edit: Tim Moorman added Bill's URL.

Rog Mogale's site is here and there are some interesting designs on Jeff Robinson's site too.

Horn design is not a simple cut-and-paste like most domestic ported boxes are, for example.

ah well it was worth an ask, i already had the driver and was looking at some extra punch for low and mid, in a not tall box,

i just remembered the fane W horns that some rock star stood on at the front of a gig somewhere.

what are your thoughts on a wide trapezoidal thats 19 inches high? possibly the same front profile as a horizontal W horn but plain ported trap. box?

psychosteve said:
ah well it was worth an ask, i already had the driver and was looking at some extra punch for low and mid, in a not tall box,

i just remembered the fane W horns that some rock star stood on at the front of a gig somewhere.
"Punch" is usually at 60-100Hz
what are your thoughts on a wide trapezoidal thats 19 inches high? possibly the same front profile as a horizontal W horn but plain ported trap. box?
Could be done. I haven't run the numbers in a sim as I don't have the software here, but with that box height it would be a tight fit based on the driver size. Box shape is generally irrelevant for PA stuff, except for how it physically fits with the rest of your rig, stage or stack area it consumes and how easy it is to move around, get through doorways and pack, stack and load in the truck.

I modeled the Beta 15 in the DR15 enclosure and it's not half bad. The fs is right on, Vas a bit big, Qts high but that will give a stonger bottom end where the box is in direct radiator mode. HF F3 should come in around 3kHz on axis, but realistically for PA crossover no higher than 1.5kHz would be better from both a dispersion standpoint and also because you don't want your mid/hf source down close to the floor. As Jim noted I don't recommend this unless you have a 15 on hand that you want to use in an efficient wide bandwidth box for electric bass or keyboard on the backline; starting from scratch a combination Tuba 24 sub and DR250a midbass/HF horn is a far better option for both backline and PA.

psychosteve said:

Dude. Like I said before " A Beta 15 In A Horn = :dead: "

I'm going to continue with...........

Eminence Beta 15 = :dead: :dead:

Save yourself the trouble, and, just sell it on Ebay. The money
you make of the Beta, you can use it as a down payment on
a better speaker.

Dude the speaker is one step away from garbage. The Alpha
15 holds that title :D

Rock On! :eguitar:

it may be just this side of garbage, but i have one, and by building a new box for it, ive got a buyer who pays £150, so if i build a box for £50, thats £100 profit.

plus it doesnt have to sound fantastic coz i know where its being placed!!!

and i know what it'll be replacing. this is night club PA gear. i built the original system for £500, speakers, amps, mixers and all cables.

Bill, a DR15 sounds good but its too high, i need something short, it has to fit under bar at the side of a nite club, 22inches is max height. see you soon, thanks for the help, steve.. ..

Hey Dude.

If your going to build a box for it, and sell it for a profit, I'm
all for it! :D

But, don't assume that speaker is PA Grade material. :whazzat:

Again, if you building for a profit ............. by all means :D

But, if you want a PA Speaker, you got McKenzie, Celestion,
and, Fane in your backyard, that will do a better job than this
speaker.

I know I may sound blunt, but there are times, when
walking on eggshells, is not the best way to explain something.

Sometimes you need to step on glass, and make it break :smash:

Rock On ! :eguitar:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.