Cloned my second MT2!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After working on this for 2 days, I finally got it all singing.
I just want to add here for those who are planning to embark this project, I have tried many opamps before I finally settled with a combination of JRC4558D and OPA2604.
For the input and gain stage, I used JRC4558. The other remaining opamps are 2604. I found out that the most important sstages is the input and gain, as swapping different type of opamps gives the most dramatic colouring to the sound. Here are the results with other opamps.

some cheap opamps (taken out from commercial gears): This gives the most obvious metal sound, with muddy and heavy bass, sharp thin highs. Not my flavour though

NE5332: a serious contender, it gives the metal sound with a well balanced tone. Very quiet too. However, I found the sound a bit too SS, and lacking the natural warmth.

2132/2134: These opamps are synonymous with warm tube sound. Using 2134 in the circuit makes the MT-2 sound BIT more crunchy, sort of the marshall overdriven sound.

JRC4558D: My favourite. Playing with the tone controls it gives a wide range of metal tones, crunch and almost the 'brown' sound. The tone lacks a bit on the high part (treble).

If anyone plans to build this, I highly recommend using modern opamps over the original japanese opamps. The one I built is very quiet compared to the original pedal, and with quality parts and optimised layout, there are much improvements in clarity. I plan to try TL072 once I can get my hand on it.

After building this pedal, I highly recommend to BUY this pedal rather than to build it. It is very very tough, and for the effort I think the price is worth it, unlike other junk distortions out there.

I spent two whole days building, troubleshooting and improvising it. And this is not my first second MT2 project.. Compared to other projects, I can build a TS-808 in half a day.

Anyway, I am having holidays and nothing else to do.:D :D :D :smash: :smash: :D :D :D

I download the circuit from a website(I cant remember), and copyright issue restricts me from posting it here. Anyone who wants it can email me.

By the way, Im looking for the DS-1 schematic

You built a metal zone without a PCB????

Wow man that seems pretty radical!

No wonder it took you so long. Try getting some free PCB software, it should cut your build time down to literally a couple hours once you get good at the project layouts.

PCB's are actually very easy to make, even if you etch them by hand rather than use chemicals to do it, the easiest way.

CHeck these links for everything you need materials wise. Quite cheap in fact:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=TEK-5&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=ER-3&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=PCB-46&type=store

It's that simple. Print it, press it to the PC board, etch it, drill it and insert all your parts. It doesn't get any easier.
The part values are even printed on the board.

Probably would still have taken you a day or two, but there'd of been no trouble shooting needed.

Wow man that seems pretty radical!

No wonder it took you so long. Try getting some free PCB software, it should cut your build time down to literally a couple hours once you get good at the project layouts.

PCB's are actually very easy to make, even if you etch them by hand rather than use chemicals to do it, the easiest way.

Thanks for the links
:D :D :D
Probably would still have taken you a day or two, but there'd of been no trouble shooting needed.
I agree in making PCBs, but you need to design them 100% correct. And if you made a mistake, troubleshooting PCBs is really hard to do.
Furthermore, I am not mass-producing those, so the total time to fabricate it still amounts the same.

I have the same worries....

Yeah I haven't designed any PCB's yet either. I'm too reliant on all the ones ppl have given us online.:clown:

My worry is the same, designing it wrong.
If you get the right software though, it will test the circuit.

Soooo, it should be rather hard to use that and still screw it up :D

.....I've started my own PCB's before though. The way they setup that software to work seems like a pain in the butt to me. They need the parts selection to be as simple as Circuit Maker 2000 and just the way it works in general.

DIY BOSS MT2 METALZONE WITH PCB AND SCHEMATIC

I was starting from your site, and and and AND NOW:

DIY A BOSS MT2 METALZONE CLONE WITH THIS NEW PCB and schematic,
_clone2005_FULL_project_ other informations on this site:

http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home

THANKS VERY MUCH, you can Express-Download-Full-Project [about 4MB.PDF]
GOOD WORK AND FUN !!!

PS.: my next cloning is ZOOM TRIMETAL TM-01
you can see the schematics of the Zoom Tri-Metal TM-01 in the WHAT'S NEW section of :

http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/site_map.htm

I used dual op-amp type NE5532,
and tested also quad op-amp type TL074.

MT2 price is very low (expecially for the used-market),
but only for people that live in great city or buy in internet...
in other case DIY is better !!!

after NextCloning-TRIMETAL-POLYTONE,
I will make a little and very easy pcb
with only this principal components:
Q011 - IC3b - Q010 - IC3a - VR01 "DISTORTION" - D003 -
D004 - IC4b - Q008 - Q007 - IC4a - VR04 "LEVEL" - Q001.
Yes, IC3 and IC4 may be an unique QuadOpAmp.
In this case, you make ONLY the distortion-zone of MT2
and you can put this easy pcb in other equalizer-box
or power-ampli-chassis, type Polytone.

Enjoy !!!

-----------------------------------
ZOOM TRIMETAL TM-01
VS
BOSS MT-2 METALZONE
!!!
FOR NEW PCB CLONE, I FIND ALL THE
ORIGINAL (FULL) SCHEMATIC AND PCB
IN THE ORIGINAL (FULL) SERVICE GUIDE
OF ZOOM TRIMETAL TM-01 .
MY EMAIL IS AT HOMEPAGE OF :
http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home
AND THEN NAVIGATE WITH THIS CLICK :
----- THE NEXT CLONING ------------
----- WORKinPROGRESS --------------
----- THE ZOOM TM-01 PROJECT ------
Enjoy !!!
THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE TRANSLATE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE

chi di voi ha in casa lo schema originale del ZOOM_TriMetal_TM-01 ?
e perchè non me lo spedisce via email, TUTTO e BENE ?
il vostro aiuto è necessario, adesso !!!

who of you has at home the original schematics of the ZOOM_TM-01 ?
and why you don't send-me ALL and WELL ?
your aid is right, OK, now !!!

qui de vous a à la maison les schémas originaux du Zoom_tm-01 ?
et pourquoi vous pas envoyer-je TOUT et BON ?
votre aide est bon, OK, maintenant !!!

quem de você tem na casa os diagramas esquemáticos originais do Zoom_tm-01 ?
e por que você não emit-mim TODO e BOM ? su ayuda es OK, agora !!!

¿quién de usted tiene en la casa los diagramas esquemáticos originales del Zoom_tm-01 ?
¿y por qué usted no enviar-yo TODO y BIEN ?
su ayuda es OK, ahora !!!

wer von Ihnen hat am Haus die ursprünglichen Diagramme des Zoom_tm-01?
und warum Sie nicht senden-ich ALLER und WOHL?
Ihr Hilfsmittel ist rechtes O.K., jetzt !!!

THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.THANKS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.