Computer Componets, which is the best value for money and the most reliable!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The WinTV PVR-250 can be had for $80 after mail in rebate right now. Does a lot of encoding/decoding in hardware.

I've had a bad experience with msi and won't by their products again (kt3 ultra2 motherboard is VERY unstable, even with bios updates and such. Sometimes it won't post and just beep until I power it down and start it back up. ti4200 card had to be replaced about 9 months after I bought it ("pink screen of death" like Gainward's cards). 48x CDRW started having problems reading cd's (lenses are clean) and even opening the tray about a year after bought). Bought all at once 2 years ago.

/rant ;)

SGSeeker...unfortuneate about the msi motherboards have had 2 of them personally and built 3 computers for friends using the ultra motherboard, aside from a faulty northbridge fan on one (which supplier replaced immediately on the spot) they have run without dramas. Mine runs a pretty high overclock http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?name=HiLLBiLLY&page=pics
( i have changed to Epox since my computer was added to the OCAU data base) too and for a cheap viachipset board they do stand up to it rather well.

As for msi graphics cards i have had 2 of these and again no dramas at all

Want drams go for Epox lol...fantastic boards if you can get one that doesn't have manufactures fault to start wiith lol

Maybe you were just plain damn unlucky SG lol

I'm sure its just bad luck on my part. My dad had the first Ultra and when I went to visit, we tried to get his audio software to function properly with his Layla cards...it was never possible to get all 24 channels working on that motherboard. Switched boards, worked fine.

My board has so many problems even running at 166MHz fsb now. It used to get up around 190 without issue (although I never ran it higher than 166 since the tbredA cpu just sucked, period.)

I've loved epox boards ever since my Super7-based board back in the day. It was more stable than my BP6 (BX chipset) which was extremely solid anyways. Abit and MSI are on the bottom of my list now, next to value brands.

Back to the topic, I think anything that isn't a no-name brand should do what most people want out of their computer. Some people have higher expectations though and spend $500+ on video tuners. I don't think a vga box or tuner will help THAT much if your panel is 640x480 native. I have a cheap panel sitting in a case that is 640x480 native and using rca/svideo input, the image fills up nearly the entire panel. Another other "enhancements" you find from a converter is most likely artifacts that weren't in the original signal - brightness, gamma, contrast, color settings, etc. That is, unless the controller built into your panel does a poor job of receiving the signal in the first place :xeye:

To be honest your pushing it to get anything over 190FSB on the ultra board if your not using 400 speed ram and that on the msi boards is a downside as far as brand types of 400ddr it will accept and run at full speed....all a bit off topic just thought i would ad ma two cents worth lol

Im looking into a TV EXCEL VP-3020C Hi-Definition Digital TV Tuner Capture Card http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=175&item=5132116474&rd=1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3762&item=5131088046&rd=1

Was hoping somebody on the forums might have some input on the performances of these cards, I have read several reviews on the excel and it seems to perform adequately however i take most reviews with a grain of salt and a little sceptisim from past experiences of products reviewed and i have in turn purchased only to find they didnt live up to the high expectations i had for them after reading reviews on the component

been using hyperx pc3500 with BH-5 chips for awhile, its quality stuff. Originally I thought maybe my antec 300w psu was the culprit (being that it was like 5 years old) since the rails that the motherboard uses the most power from were the weakest rails on the psu, but my trupower 430 fixed nothing. Now I'm stuck running the motherboard at 133MHz and even that isn't as stable as past systems have been.

temperature isn't an issue - it acted the same when I was watercooling it with the heatercore external of the case. Running the processor at stock has done nothing. Trying to change ram (samsung pc2700), cpu (old duron), and videocard (old gf2) has done nothing to help stability.

I dont have a msi manual handy atm..but it does list ram compatibility in back of it...if yours aint on the list i wouldnt put the slightest faith in it running at full speed...that said...133 is shamefull for sure, i gather you have played with ram timmings already and loosened them up. Something definately array there bud... sounds like you have done the right thing trying different components and concluding the MB is the culprit seems logical...pitty matey again unlucky i would guess :-(

I had mine stable around 191FSB with 11 multi using pc2700 ram.... moved to an epox board with nforce chipset after that...boots ma XP2500 unlocked barton straight up with 210fsb so pretty happy with that...temps idle 28 load 33 :p

Asus just works...thats my opinion on them :D

They used to have less features but now its far from true. My favorites now-days are epox, asus, iwill, gigabyte, and shuttle - not in any specific order.

-----------------------------

I think we answered gofishn's questions. I'd just go with a scan converter(vga box) if you have no need or want to record onto your computer.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Heya Guys, ive made this thread to split off another thread in the Video area discussing Computer componets. Please feel free to add your experiences with your Computer Hardware and what you find is the "Best Value for Money vs Performance".

This is not another PC vs Mac thread ;) .

Trev:)

You can't put it general what's the best.
There is no best for all no matter what. My 754 board was an epox, my actual 939 board is an msi(neo2), my old 462 board was an asus etc. All fine.

For videocard I had leadtek, asus, msi, 3dfx, powercolor and now sapphire(x800-pe+ ;) ). All fine, no problem at all.

For memory, the corsair was the best I had, very stable and very good perf.

Hdd, almost no major diff, eventually loudness. If we exclude the deathstart and a fuji line all have about the same failure rate. If you want perf, then raptor 10k or scsi 15k.

Soundcard, creative(don't like them tho), terratec, etc. I'm with m-audio.

PSU: There is kind of like a huge diff: a $30 550W is total crap compared to a $70 350W Enermax. The important thing there is how many A on the +12V rail. You would need at least 16A if you're running a relatively performant system. 18A is recommended.

Cooling, there is also some diff. Go for copper and silent. More $ tho.

There is no such thing as perfect company in the computer world(eventually corsair as it has always exceeded my expectance).

CPU: amd is the best now, no matter what(perf., power used, price/perf). what comes next? maybe intel.

GPU: ati now, nvidia next probably. will see when the 480 is out. i had an 6800 and never liked it, extremely loud, power hungry, extremely hot.

There is one more thing tho: the person putting the things together. A lot depends on the personal experience and the decisions made(drivers and hardware combination)

:hot:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
There is no best for all no matter what.

I agree with that, you could have a so called best computer one day, and the next day its out of date and replaced by somthing new, more powerful ect. What i was refering to is more so the failure rates or reliablility that people have experienced with certian hardware brand names, and less face it, they have all had their run, nothing is perfect, but some companies cheat more then others and problems soon show.

Your right about the psu's too, they can be enough to break or make any system.

Trev:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.