Frozen Arctic Wasteland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rcavictim said:
DSP Geek, (aka Francois),

When did the State of California start using the Canadian Flag?
Nice looking flag ain't it?! ;)

I lived in Montreal, but the separatists had managed to totally screw up the economy to the point where the best salary offer I got as an engineer was 20% below what I'd been making five years previously. Hmm. An insulting pittance in Quebec, or bongo bucks Stateside? Think, think.

Anyway, it's part of my mission here to inform USAians that no, contrary to what they hear from various mouthpieces, the Canadian health care system was not collapsing, yes, we have no deficit, no, gun control doesn't mean criminals are jacking us at will, and that despite Pat Buchanan caliing us Soviet Canuckistan we actually had it pretty good (modulo Blacque Jacques Parizeau and his crowd).

On the other hand, DSP gigs aren't real thick on the ground in the Great White North. They're not terribly common here either outside the defence industry, but I've been able to build a nice little niche.

And my sister keeps me in 22 Minutes tapes.

Anyway, if the mods want to throw this to Everything Else under Frozen Arctic Wasteland...

Francois.

"Congratulations Canada on your national igloo!"

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
DSP_Geek said:
And my sister keeps me in 22 Minutes tapes. "Congratulations Canada on your national igloo!"

For those not familiar, 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' is a news and political satire show done by our national TV CBC.

Excellent show.

SY said:
I love Canada, since it's the land that gave us Joni Mitchell and Terrence & Philip.

Not to mention Pamela Anderson and Wanye and Schuster.

Cheers
Cal

Basketball

Hockey.

Hey, why is it that when I talk with Canadians, they often refer to it as "the hockey" rather than just "hockey"? (As in, "Oh, yah, the wife and I are going oat tonight at aboat seven o'clock to watch the hockey, eh?")

I will give the Quebecoises credit for a major linguistic advance over the French- a well-rationalized set of numbers. Instead of calling 97 "four twenty ten seven", they actually say "ninety seven." (quatre-vingnt dix sept versus nonante sept)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
planet10 said:
Basketball

Schoolgirl game...

SY said:

Hey, why is it that when I talk with Canadians, they often refer to it as "the hockey" rather than just "hockey"? (As in, "Oh, yah, the wife and I are going oat tonight at aboat seven o'clock to watch the hockey, eh?")

It is a very common expression in the UK, THE football, THE rugby, THE snooker...

And nobody mentioned Rush yet? ;)

Actually, the bulk of Canadian wine production is over on the NY side. But I use "bulk" in a loose sense; the total output is pretty small. My visiting excuses have always been (sadly) industrial rather than gustatory.

I've been wanting to see Vancouver for a long time- I hear the food is outstanding and it certainly seems to be physically beautiful. Ah well, one day...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.