Is it worthwhile to buy Bulk Metal Resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many people swear by Vishay bulk metal resistors
(and the price is something to swear AT!)

Texas Components is another source of Vishays; identical product.
Probably in business so the military can have an "alternate source".
Tex. Comp. seems easier to deal with than Vishay -- at least
that's my impression from our parts-buyer at work.

Hi Sunsun,

I suggest you order a few Vishay resistors to install at a critical junctures of your circuitry. I once replaced two RIAA resistors with Vishays in a tube preamp (ie, one per channel) and heard an audible difference for the better. From that point on, there was, for me, no looking back. IMO, the audible change Vishay resistors bring is not of the more subtle variety spoken of in these threads, detectable only by those having very finely tuned hearing. More like the difference between an 88-rated and a 93-rated wine which even the less discerning palate can appreciate.

Tom

Hay Tom, if you are talking about 88 and 93 rated wines, I can certainly tell the difference but again, this is subject to personal taste.

I'm not a EE and is not sure what is the critical path in a circuit. The accumulated information says the feedback resistor is the most critical, then followed by ........ Can you give me some examples.

Thanks

Oh yes. I am planning to purchase 8 x 100 ohms to replace the resistors next to the AD823 (I am using 8 x 120 ohmes paralleling the 1K Vishay at this moment). In the same time, I also wish to know if it is worthwhile to upgrade some of the resistors to Vishay block metal too.

I have compared the sound stage of 38 and 38S and the 38S sounds more open. However you know there are a lot of upgrades between 38 and 38S other than the Vishay resistors, I'm not sure how does the Vishay block metal resistors will affect the sound quality if changing them alone.

Sunny

Feedback and loading resistors, and resistors associated with gain functions in a circuit, can be considered critical. Any resistor through which the signal passes is critical. The further from these circuit areas, the less effect, generally, you will hear using different resistor types. Don't overlook the power supply, which is in series with the signal path. I think I recently read that Conrad Johnson, a tube amplifier manufacturer, has begun using Vishays in their power supplies. I suggest you won't be disappointed using Vishays anywhere in a circuit, subject to budget considerations of course.

Caddock MK-132s---medium-grade Caddocks---are only slightly cheaper than Vishays sourced from Texas Components. Caddock TF-020s are about the same price. As regards sound quality, a search on this site probably reveals most people prefer Vishays over Caddocks. My 2 cents on Vishay vs Caddock.

Cheers. ;)

Objectively, bulk foil resistors are the most linear
types I know of; practically no thermal drift or
voltage-induced nonlinearity. They're about as stable
as one can hope for in resistors. The type of technology
is distinctly different from any film or composition
resistor; the closest equivalent is wirewound in terms
of the materials used. I'd generally use them in place
of metal film resistors if it weren't for the cost.

I'm considering them for feedback circuits and input
stages, particularly differential amps. Sort of like
Black Gate capacitors, except bulk foil technology is
better defined and more broadly accepted in the industry,
for good reasons.

There is a limited selection of potentiometers with
bulk foil elements and I think those would almost be
very worthwhile, but the physical types I need aren't
available.

Admittedly, the only place I'm using bulk foil resistors
now is as calibration standards. My evil brother-in-law
once gave me some .01% units (he's an engineer, he knows
the value of having reference standards).

serengetiplains said:

Vishays at Texas Components, $6.

Caddock MK-132s at Percy, $4 to $7.

Not quite half price.

I believe that the price of Vishays depends on value and tolerance. 220K MK132 Caddock costs $4.50, try to get a quote on a same value Vishay. At Percy you'd pay $32.50, TC may be cheaper, but I suspect it won't be less than $10. Is it quite half price?

In most commonly used range: 100R - 100K Caddocks are $4, comparing to $6 Vishays it is pretty close to half price.

Vishay VSH bulk foil radial lead resistors, now available in all of the values above from 5.0§Ù to 120K, .3W @$3.75
We are told this is an S102 chip with a conformal coating, excellent sonics, but not quite the equal of the S102 above... ask for a data sheet as you won't find it elsewhere.

I've been eyeballing his catalog for years and I've never noticed that. I was always seeing S102 info only. Sometimes threads like this are quite useful;)

Here's the quote I got from Texas Components today. Percy's prices are lower.
These are all 0.01%

(1-4) S102K 100R00 0.01% = $15.01ea.
(5-9) = $11.71ea.

(1-4) S102K 22K000 0.01% = $16.51ea.
(5-9) = $12.88ea.

(1-4) = S102K 100K00 0.01% = $30.01ea.
(5-9) = $23.41ea.

(1-4) S102K 220K00 0.01% = $43.52ea.
(5-9) = $33.95ea.

These are 1.0%

(1-4) S102K 100R00 1.0% = $11.83ea.
(5-9) = $9.24ea.

(1-4) S102K 22K000 1.0% = $13.02ea.
(5-9) = $10.16ea.

(1-4) = S102K 100K00 1.0% = $23.67ea.
(5-9) = $18.47ea.

(1-4) S102C 220K00 1.0% = $34.32ea.
(5-9) = $26.77ea.

Peter, I'm only paying $6 a pop for the unencapsulated S102K. Most recent order was only a few weeks ago for varying quantities of resistors ranging from 110R to 15K. Here's a quote from the confirmation email I received from Arbie at Texas Components:

t is good to know that you are pleased with the TX2352 resistor. Is there anything in particular that you liked about the sound? The price is 5.92 ea. We can ship parts in <2 weeks.

$6 is a very good price. I sent for another quote today, as I mistakenly asked for S102 version. It's worth noting that Percy carries S102 version, which is more expensive than "naked" TX2352 type.

I bought whole bunch of S102s from the guy selling them on a forum (at $2, initially), but I was not that much impressed with those. They sound fine, but highs are overdamped for my taste, sort of mellow sounding. I was reading that nude resistors are much better in this regard, as plastic encapsulation provides this additional damping and influences the sound.

I have some TX2352 resistors in my drawer as well, but still didn't decided where to use them.

I tried VTA55 Vishays from Partsconnexion and those were really unimpressive, Caddocks performed much better, IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.