My amplified sound cube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had some wood, little speakers, a transformer, some 3875s and a heatsink sitting around collecting dust. So, I thought, why not build something out of it. I ended up with what I call, a soundcube. What it is is two small 4" Infinity full range speakers, one on each side, in series connection for a total load of 8ohm. The speakers are driven by a LM3875TF amp.

Sound is very good, especially since I designed it with two ideas in mind, first, sound quality, and most importantly, portability. Yes, it does weigh pretty much (due to the MDF and transformers, the speakers are quite light).

Here are some pictures, what does everybody think?

Looking at the picture of the back, you see only a potentiometer , power cable, and two other wires sticking out. Wheres the power switch and input? The two wires are the input (not done, still need to add RCA jack), and the potentiometer has a switch built into it, which switches the AC to the transformer.

Attachments

• rear_soundcube.jpg
    rear_soundcube.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 372
MWP said:
Your using a standard on/off pot switch to switch mains to the transformer??
That cant be a good idea :whazzat:

Why not? The only problem is a slight humm only noticable when you put your ear next to the speakers. I can deal with that.

Also, johnnyx, yes, I will add one, need to buy one. About replacing the crappy PC speakers, its better than that. I am actually quite suprised with the sound quality. Unbelievable bass from such small speakers and good treble responce and a clean midrange, not too sharp and not too muffled. The distortion-free volume output is quite amazing to me also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.