Telescopic PVC exhaust pipe bass transmission lines?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you think it is possible to get some PVC drainpipe material of different widths and attach them to a vent in a normal speaker in a telescopic transmission line kind of way, so that you could tune the length of the line until it is just right?
With decent proportions, it could look and sound quite good probably?
Any variations on the idea?

or you could do soemthing like this...kinda hard to tell from the picture, but it is spiraling, and you can add extra quater-circles to tune it... maybe it wouldnt be exact but it could be pretty darn close

Attachments

• p1010007.jpg
    p1010007.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 186
It's been done...

I think on the Full Range forum site someone has made transmission lines out of PVC,

Also, someone has made a spiral horn inside a PVC pipe using different sized fittings for the mouth,

not to mention my own K-slotted broadband resonant pipe :)

Pete McK

Attachments

• closepipe2.jpg
    closepipe2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 163
That's some nice work, i'd like to do the same thing with the drivers held in cement.
In my mind I was thinking of something that's a cross between a speaker and a Yankee freight truck with some vertical exhaust pipes. Perhaps even an oil refinery look.

I was thinking that the drainpipe tubes I have in the Garden have a drainpipe echo sounder at the moment, I think PVC tubes are probably best used extra rigid with very fixed ends for a truly dead weight.

Spirals sound interesting, although I'd be most interested in trying to mould a corkscrew like the bronze corkscrews used to irrigate the hanging elevated gardens of Babylon. The methods used for moulding are mysterious, although there are some theories about effective spiral creation methods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.