Help newbie on electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!
Im now on my way for the 1st experience on electronics. I also read a few things on a book.
What i wish to know is can i put toghether 10 5mm blue or white led connected on paralel using common car bat or do i need a resistor for evey single led?
And on the final look will the input have enough power to make all the led bright? I think so but...
Thanks everyone!

Easiest thing to do

The easiest thing is to use a separate resistor for each LED. However, you can but 2 or 3 in series and use one resistor for each group. Just don't put them all in series and these LEDs sometimes need fairly high voltage, for LEDs that is. Maybe 3-4 V each.

As for value, that depends on how much curremt you want to pass through each LED. There are many other threads on this site telling you how to size the resistor needed for LEDs. Do a search.

I can second the above.
The voltage the leds need depend on the colour of the emitted light.
You should get some data on your leds!
red leds e.g just need about 2V.

Like dmfraser said, best is to use several in series (maybe 2 if blue, 4 or 5 if red) and a resitor to limit the current to about 20mA (better not more than 30mA or the lifetime will be reduced) .

And then use several of those series in parallel.

You'll certainly find lots of sites about the subject if you search in google...

Have fun!
Dominique

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.