NHT Model 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of NHT Model 1 speakers. The foam suspension ring is disintegrated on both. Is it better to just have the foam replaced or just by replacement drivers? (The speakers still sound good even in the current condition.)

If replacing the driver (6 1/2 inch), what would you recommend?

type said:
I have a pair of NHT Model 1 speakers. The foam suspension ring is disintegrated on both. Is it better to just have the foam replaced or just by replacement drivers? (The speakers still sound good even in the current condition.)

If replacing the driver (6 1/2 inch), what would you recommend?

I seem to remember this being a Peerless woofer. (or possibly a Tonegen) Could you show us a picture of it, and of the back of the magnet too? Maybe we could identify it.

In this particular case, I'd investigate getting new drivers. These are being run right up into the midrange with a vestigial (or no) filter. The surround and its attachment have a great deal of influence on how the driver breaks up and rolls off in a VERY audible part of the band.

If these were just pure woofers, I'd say go refoam them. But they're midranges.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.