• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mumetal For Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hifi said:
sorry if i mess upp the thread but use tube based circuits those arent affected of the EMP witch a nuclear detonation causes...

micke,

You beat me to that comment, but i was wondering what happens to the SS CCS if you are using them.

To answer the original question... well i have no real idea. Any Nuclear/EMP experts?

I would suppose that there would be a range from the blast where a piece of gear completely enclosed in mumetal would survive and one ithout would not, but i wouldn't hazard a guess as to how wide this band would be.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Feedback

Here is some feedback i just got wrt the mumetals effectiveness shielding TVs from the speakers magnetic field:

Really easy to apply. I applied to layered sheets on the side of the cabinet closest to the screen. I had to do this in two sections due to the speaker being a 3-way and having 3 total drivers (two driver cabinet partitions). Then I wrapped each individual magnet with two layers of mumetal for additional reflectivity of magnetic fields (I read on the site it is better to make a cone or tube around the source than a horizontal side). I took one of the larger 6.5" drivers and held it close to the tv when it was turned on and compared to the un-treated driver it does increase the shielding dramatically. Really easy install and fun to mess with.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.