liquid nitrogen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am after a liquid that cannot be frozen with liquid nitrogen! does such a liquid exist?

the liquid in question will be used as a coolant that is passed through piping in a tank of liquid nitrogen, i was considering mabe alcohol or something similar but i have been told that it will be frozen as well.

its for a kind of prototype sub/amplifier cooling system, and yes i am aware of the hassles of handling liquid nitro, so any advice would be great :)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, I'm not any expert on refrigeration, but I would guess that if the volume of your coolant is greater than the volume of the liquid nitrogen in the tank by a sufficient amount, then it won't get frozen.

Also, I would think that the faster the coolant passes through the piping in the liquid nitrogen tank, the greater the chance that it won't get frozen. So the faster it moves through the pipes in the liquid nitrogen tank, the less the volume of the coolant could be compared to the volume of the liquid nitrogen in the tank, and it still won't get frozen.

I mean, the liquid nitrogen is going to take some specific time to freeze whatever the volume of coolant is in the pipes in the tank, and if the coolant gets out of the tank by then, I guess it's home free.

I am in no position to work out the necessary volume amounts of your coolant versus volume of liquid nitrogen in the tank, and at what speed the coolant passes through the piping in the liquid nitrogen tank, but I would think such things could be found on the net or your local library.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
One more question, though.

It is going to take a lot of cooling equipment and effort to keep liquid nitrogen in it's liquid state, won't it?

And you will have to move your coolant through the liquid nitrogen tank at a certain rate to keep it from freezing.

Why not just take the cooling equipment that is used to keep the liquid nitrogen in it's liquid state, and instead use it to cool your coolant directly? That way, you can buy/design your cooling equipment to be incapable of freezing the coolant at the volume you are using, and your freezing problem disappears.

Kind of like eliminating the middleman in a business deal. :)

You could probably use some kind of oil or something like 3m fluorinert. Why does it need to be so cold? Would water cooling not suffice? You'll have to condensation proof everything.

If you have to maintain those kinds of temps, perhapse you should consider suspending the electronics in dielectric oil. You could chill the oil bath, and condensation wouldn't be a problem. I would stick to a less extreme cooling solution if possible though.

true but the lower the temperature the less the noise due to some quantum physics type thing. if the temp was 0k there would be no noise what so ever.

Are you sure that applies here? I doubt you'd get temps much below -40c unless you used cascading compressors or some exotic gas. Not very near abosolute zero. ;) However I did see a liquid helium generator on ebay a few months back...:D

My only experience with liquid nitrogen was with the old infrared cameras that you filled up and took night shots for about an hour. It doesnt seem well suited for cooling an amp or W.H.Y because it has to be able to evaporate as it warms and expands or be re-compressed and circulated. Them's the rules 'o' physics. I'm thinking you would probably want to keep a nitrogen compression system outdoors. It's likely to be a noisy sonofagun.

I don't have a handle on the electronics side of the cooling but I'm thining if you use a gas that doesn't require the compression that nitrogen does, then you cut down on the noise of the cooling system. An old fridge on the balcony comes to mind.

Like Trichloromonofluoromethane dude!

Freon 22 if memory serves me correctly. Can you say CFC's?

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.