Jordan JX92s Bookshelf design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a prolonged search for my first DIY project, I have ordered a pair of Jordan JX92s to be made into bookshelf speakers. These will actually be placed in a bookshelf, right up against the rear wall. The shelf measures 12" high, 10" deep, and I can go as wide as I need/want. The speaker will only be used for music and will be driven by a bryston amp. Presently there will not be a subwoofer in the room, but I have wired the room such that one could be added later. The room itself is roughly 14' x 24'.

As I have searched through the archives, I have heard of the Jim Griffin mini monitor a number of times, but have not been able to find a link to the design. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Now, I need some help planning out my box design:

1) Port or Sealed?
2) 3/4" MDF or 1.5" MDF
3) The Jordan site mentioned a 12.5 liter internal volume. Is that the way to go for the best sound?
4) Should I just run some wire from the binding posts to the speaker, or should I use some sort of passive network?
5) Does it hurt the sound to have the enclosure wider than it is tall?

Thank you in adavance for all of your help!

Jim is a member of this forum and his ID is the same as his name. Just ask him, and he will e-mail you the plans. He has an excellent Word-based document, complete with a partslist, all ready for people interested in this design. He was also helpful enough to reply to an e-mail of mine, sent smack in the middle of new years.

The forum where Jim started the thread about the mini monitor seems to be down but I´ve saved that page to my PC.
If you give me your email I´ll send it over.

There was a recent thread about bookshelves especially with the Jordan driver. Also a mini-TL that´d fit in your shelf if I´m not mistaken.

Edit: OK, the mini-TL is about 31" height (inner) so that´s too tall.
But you might find the thread interesting:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35977&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=7

GM

Joined 2003
>1) Port or Sealed?
====
Whichever sounds best to you. I recommend starting with vented and 'stick a sock' in it if you don't like it.
====
>2) 3/4" MDF or 1.5" MDF
====
I don't recommend either, but no-void 19mm ply such as Baltic Birch. If modest SPLs only, then you can get by with 12-15mm and add some dowel bracing if it's too resonant.
====
>3) The Jordan site mentioned a 12.5 liter internal volume. Is that the way to go for the best sound?
====
Depends on the app/personal preference, but somewhat larger/well damped cabs sound more tonally balanced without the need for BSC. Since yours will be in a bookcase, it's probably a moot point except WRT to the greater LF output of the larger cab.
====
>4) Should I just run some wire from the binding posts to the speaker, or should I use some sort of passive network?
====
Depends on the chosen alignment and how much boundary gain is realized. Regardless, I prefer to mount any networks outside the cab for easy tweaking.
====
>5) Does it hurt the sound to have the enclosure wider than it is tall?
====
No, as long as the driver/vent locations are correct for the aspect ratio, so design it as a pipe and lay it on its side.
====
>Edit: OK, the mini-TL is about 31" height (inner) so that´s too tall.
=====
Since shelf width doesn't appear to be an issue, just lay it on its side.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.