Black hole?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking, you know, it's really frustrating to have to build such large, cumbersome boxes to get good bass... and once they get big, you invariably have to put bracing in, and put lead bitumen in it, and sand underneath, and spikes, and they weigh more than one might think reasonable...

Then I thought, is there any way to incorporate a black hole (or other astrological anomaly) into the design, to reduce the need for a large box? If the black hole were aligned to act as a portal to another dimension, we could build a box as big as we wanted in the other dimension, and have a dinky little box in our dimension with great bass! Just think of it--by *not* putting a box in the other dimension, a closed box of any size would instantly become infinite baffle!

Anyone tried this?

Brilliant. In such a system, the crossover capacitors could also be replaced by Flux Capacitors, thus enabling electrical time-alignment by carefully sending signals back in time as appropriate.

Of course that would require 1.21 gigawatts to fully charge the Flux Capacitors, but it shouldn't be a problem for those with dedicated audio power circuits. :cannotbe:

BRILLIANT!!

I've been struggling with that notion for a while... whether it's possible or not to get time and phase alignment by moving signals backwards in time... by implementing this in my PA system, I'll be able to have correct time alignment without a delay, so I will hear more accurately what's going on!

Thanks so much!

Anyone know a supplier of black holes and flux capacitors? I searched at Parts Express and couldn't find any....

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Nappylady said:
Anyone know a supplier of black holes and flux capacitors? I searched at Parts Express and couldn't find any....

Parts Express sells Black Hole products:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-886

;)

I used a box of it to line the walls of my latest speaker project:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/focal-raven-tl

I hope I don't have response problems with the cone being sucked into the speaker. :clown:

--
Brian

Putting fun aside, there are indeed possibilities to make a box look larger (acoustically) than it actually is.
And I am not talking of the usual stuffing. Cerwin Vega once used a bag inside closed boxes that was filled with something that is more compressible than air.

There was also an article in JAES dealing with something like that. Maybe I can find it.

OTOH why bother, we just have to tame our SOs first and size won't matter anymore. ;)

Regards

Charles

Bass: Nine 12" woofers loaded in three parallel chambers. Each chamber consists of three woofers firing in a pressure driven configuration. The rear drivers reduce backpressure on the baffle-mounted drivers, simulating a free air resonance while simultaneously increasing linearity and power handling. The rear drivers are vented out the back of the enclosure through 4" ports.

Attachments

• ivy_top_view.jpg
    ivy_top_view.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 111
The rear drivers reduce backpressure on the baffle-mounted drivers, simulating a free air resonance while simultaneously increasing linearity and power handling. The rear drivers are vented out the back of the enclosure through 4" ports.

Uhh, lemme see if I have this right... a monopole system in series (phase reversed) with a 4th-order bandpass system? And sharing an enclosed volume? :scratch:

Assuming the driver phases are lined up (probably wouldn't be because of the different loads, but...) so the rear drivers unload the fronts for a sorta free-air effect (+ resonance contributions of the enclosed air column), depending on the tuning of the rear ports, you'd move from a net reflex alignment to a sorta dipolar radiation patters, prolly with some cardioid characteristic? :xeye:

Since you'd get cancellation killing efficiency below the tuning of the rear ports, it ain't exactly a panacea...

What's the goal of such a goldbergesque device?

I do not pretend to understand how this works, but it is quite fascinating. These are well over USD 100,000 each, and are supposedly some of the very best studio monitors money can buy. Entire audio spectrum, at any level, with impecable pulse caracteristics, etc etc etc. But I guess at 800 pounds of granite each, the "small box" is defeated. Here are the rest of the specs:

-Frequency response is from -4dB @ 13 Hz to well beyond 24,000 Hz. -Efficiency is 87dB. -Impedance is 7 Ohms, nominal. Minimum impedance is 5 Ohms. -Tweeter: Two 1" cloth domes stacked back to front. Each tweeter has a large-diameter vent on its pole piece and a big aperiodic damping chamber that imitates an infinite baffle loading. Stacking them doubles the size of the pole piece across the same driver surface area, increasing linearity and power handling, while having no effect on frequency response. The tweeters are manufactured on a special production line under laboratory conditions. -Mid-bass: Twelve 6" polypropylene, double-magnet driver, with a 3" voice coil diameter. Extremely rigid structural physics and the piston-like action of this driver produce exceptionally quick transients and a complete absence of coloration. These drivers are run full-range in four independently tuned transmission lines. Each transmission line contains three drivers in a pressure driven design, mounted front to back. The rear drivers reduce backpressure on the baffle-mounted drivers, simulating a free air resonance while simultaneously increasing linearity and power handling. -Bass: Nine 12" woofers loaded in three parallel chambers. Each chamber consists of three woofers firing in a pressure driven configuration. The rear drivers reduce backpressure on the baffle-mounted drivers, simulating a free air resonance while simultaneously increasing linearity and power handling. The rear drivers are vented out the back of the enclosure through 4" ports. -Enclosure: The extremely heavy enclosure becomes slightly wider as the speaker gets deeper on the bass enclosure and slightly narrower on the high frequency section. This minimizes parallel wall interactions, while increasing rigidity and stability. -Internal wiring is manufactured by Transparent Audio. -Single Cardas rhodium binding posts. -The crossover for the tweeter is hard wired. We utilize Hovland MusiCaps and Vishay resistors. -Damping material or stuffing is Acousta-Stuff, a nylon polyamide loose bulk fiber that is tri-lobal (instead of round) and multi-directionally crimped so that the strands interlock to form a very cohesive mass that does not require support and will not settle. -The grills are made of an extremely transparent material that is stretched over a thin steel frame. They attach via magnets that are buried under the surface laminate, allowing the speakers to look as finished with the grills on as with them off. -Black Italian granite is utilized. -Special designed castors are permanently mounted to the base and are an integral pert of the design. -The footprint is 15" wide on the baffle, 18" wide on the back panel. It is 36" deep, and 76" tall -Net weight, per loudspeaker, is 790 pounds.

["IIRC then black holes are black because of gravitation pull and past a certain point anything within distance of it will be sucked in beyond saving. Therefore I conclude that you're going to need a good gasket, and you may experience some response problems with the cone being sucked in a little."]

Would this be referred to as "BH Offset?"

KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.