Beginner Electrostatic Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a beginner and am interested in building an electrostatic speaker for my stereo system, more for experience then need for perfect sound. I don't want to spend toooo much, but I want something better then 40 dollar bookshelf speakers from BestBuy. Can anyone guide me towards a site or project similar to mine? What type of transformers to use? Materials for casing? all the other parts? Pretty much trying to make a cheapy electrostatic speaker (but not too cheap, budget is 75-150 dollars)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BennySP said:
I am a beginner and am interested in building an electrostatic speaker for my stereo system, more for experience then need for perfect sound. I don't want to spend toooo much, but I want something better then 40 dollar bookshelf speakers from BestBuy. Can anyone guide me towards a site or project similar to mine? What type of transformers to use? Materials for casing? all the other parts? Pretty much trying to make a cheapy electrostatic speaker (but not too cheap, budget is 75-150 dollars)

I was going to recommend a couple books -- but those would blow your budget ...

Check out Hans Zeeuwe's ESL Circuit -- the most comprehensive source of ESL info on the net.

dave

There is one book that's relatively cheap, but still provides a very good resource for electrostatic loudspeakers. Roger Sanders' 'Electrostatic Loudspeaker Design Cookbook' turned out to be a pretty good read. Focuses on construction, but gives a bit about design as well. It sells in the 35 dollar range, I know amazon carries it.

There're a few electrostatic builders on this forum site, do some back-post searching for electrostatics and you'll probably get enough information to start asking specific questions.

ESLs really are impressive. DIY construction is well worth it, my friend recently made a very good pair of ESLs from scratch, and I've completed a pair of headphones that give decent sound. Good luck.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
G-Daddy said:
Roger Sanders' 'Electrostatic Loudspeaker Design Cookbook' turned out to be a pretty good read. Focuses on construction, but gives a bit about design as well. It sells in the 35 dollar range

That is one of the books i was going to mention -- it is good -- but at $35 represents 1/2 to a 1/3 of his budget. And i suspect if he is good at scrounging and creative to boot he could actually build a set of modest ESLs for his budget.

dave

Benny,
I've just completed my own pair of ESLs and it cost me a little more than I planned on, as most DIY things do.
The 75-100 buck budget will barely be able to buy you a pair of step up transformers. I suggest that you price some mylar, perforated metal, insulating spacers, and a high voltage bias. This should give you an idea about how much your speakers will run.

I, however, don't want to discourage you. I priced my speakers at about $250. I spent more than that, but mostly due to screw-ups. All you need is to have is some good planning on your part (so you don't accidentally get incorrect items) and you can possibly build a set of your own for merely triple your intended budget. If you succeed in building a set, you will be blown away at the quality of the sound. By the nature of ESLs an incorrectly made speaker will merely have less output, not less sound quality.

If you need any help with your project please ask. I'm about ready to dive into a 3rd and 4th pair (a final pair for myself, and a pair for a buddy).
-Dan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just ran across this note on a DIY ESL kit for (a little out of the budget range, but are a more or less complete kit is kinda unique):

Now Available: The Electrostatic Loudspeaker System NSS 0.3a for only $260
The Audio Circuit has made a deal with Newton Sound Systems, who offer the
first really affordable DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker kit, the NSS 0.3. They
now also offer the NSS 0.3a, a kit with all electronics needed to build your
own pair of ESL's for just $260. Read all about the NSS 0.3 and the NSS 0.3a
at:http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl-circuit/9041IMAI-DI.htm

dave

<www.audioasylum.com> has a forum dealing with ribbons,planers and stats. More info there than you need about commercial but not sure about DIY. <www.metacrawler.com> is great for doing searches. The site you need is out there, it might take a while to find it. Post at the Asylum and you will get some good URLs if any are to be had. I bought a pair a JansZen Mod 60s on Ebay and need to overhaul the electrics so I am going to be learning about small panel Stats. By the way the problem seems to be cheap power supplies and probably mediocre crossover parts. Be sure and put your $$ in the most important places first.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Sanders' book is indeed excellent, as were his articles in Audio magazine some time back-like 10 years ago.

If you are a US citizen or resident, I would just like to point out that Sanders' book, like all books, is available from your local library through Inter-Library Loan. Check with your local librarian. Even if the book is only available from a library out-of-state, they will get it for you. I believe this is all for no charge.

If you are not in the US, check with your librarian anyway. They very possibly have the same system we have in the USA.

DIY ESLs

At your budget you'll have some difficulty getting the transformers needed to step up the voltage out of your amplifier.

If you're real good at scrounging, and you go to ham fests and Goodwill stores a lot, you'll probably be able to find an old tube amp that you can steal the transformers out of pretty cheaply (unless the tube audio maniacs have beat you to the mark!). You can even use the power supply transformer to make a bias supply.

The rest of it can be real cheap, but locating all the materials is a lot of effort. Once you find everything you need, you'll know where to go and will be able to make many more speakers quickly, easily, and cheaply.

Good luck.

MR

Found this site last night. <www.buckeyeweb.com/russknotts/home1.htm> You can buy parts, build your own frames and have a good time. More expensive than what you are looking for but has good pics and explanations. I also want to mention that I have seen some very good stats that the panels for stretching the mylar looked like the 1/2 " thick crosshatch panells used in flourescent light fixtures. Not sure if that was the origin or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.