my DIY Turntables and DIY tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The arm in details:

Picture1
Basic materials:

- PVC pressure Rings (yes yes! you read well...)
- Set screw stainless "machined" in points for the pivot
- Stopper of clock industry out of bronze bored very fine for the horological jewel and inserted in rings PVC
- Arrow tube aluminum for the arm
- the carry-cell "worked" in a piece of magnesium (1/3 of the weight of aluminium)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Picture2
The rings with assembled pivots and horological jewels, the tiny trick that you see on the right of the set screw is a stopper of clock industry (My grandfather was a clock and watch maker...)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Picture3
Wire of flexible wiring and very end bought in a retailer of electronic component of my area (did it find any more the reel, nobody any more does not ask any him...) 1 ml = 1,5 euros
I on kept well only 4 wire for the cell + 1 to connect the arm to the mass.

Picture4
The mechanism of the arm:
- Counterweight of the threaded bored stainless arm
- Counterweight the antione out of stainless, aluminium pulley, the wire is a hair!

Picture5
Details of the magnesium carry-cell equipped with a AT9E

Picture6
The arm finished, finally almost...

Thank you with all for your compliments !!!

How does it sound?
the turntable is very quiet, with a new LPs, it does not have there no noise, no rumble, no resonance!
The sound is very fine, very deep, like good Cd with more details, the band-width seems very wide !
I bought the 30TH anniversary "Dark Side Of The Moon" Pink Floyd, I was very impressed by the dynamics and the richness of details which a LP could contain!!!

Did you balance the platter?
Not for the moment, I did not considered to be it useful.

Is there a particular reason the platter diameter is so small?
not of particular reason!

how is stabil rotation with pickup on plate ?
With inertia, the plate is very stable, the belt is wire to sew for leather!

What a nice piece of engeneering!
Don't you guys hate yourselves do not being able to do
something of this caliber? I do....
:)

roger waters you fab turntable

your turntable is Wow!!!!!!

i have a question. several actually??? how are the cavities, spaces
where the lead shot is loaded arranged. Is the mdf only used on the edges of the plater and the base or plinth or is it in individual, compartments, ie more than one compartment per layer or several layers. I ask because even with lead shot cavities do resonate!!

How did you make or get the bearing made???

The final question, just what does this yummy turntable sound like!!!!!

stunning but how would you describe it???

Fantasia
Milwatos@yahoo.com.au

roger water great turntable

well, that answered my question about sound and a great
description of the sound!!!!!!

your description sounds just like what i remember a Golmund
reference from the 1980s sounded like and that was expensive
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sure it sounds just as good.

What did it ending up costing you???

i ask because im building something myself but nothing as
impressive as your machine!!!

the price of new turntables is just scarey

fab, i dont have enough superlatives.

fantasia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.