2-way TL designs using Jordan JX150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Are there transmission line designs using the Jordan JX150 or JX125?

Are any of these suitable tweeter options:
* Hiquphon OW1F (87db, $US90)
* Seas T25CF002 Millenium (88db, $US155)
* Northcreek D28-06S (new, 92db, $US78)
* Fountek JP2 ribbon (98db, $US118)

Basically, I'm considering a TL similar to rljones' Jordan 92S TL + ESg2 ribbon except using the JX125 or JX150.

Thanks for the advice,

Al

Some websites

www.salkaudio.com has a Veracity HT-1 with a better combination of a ribbon and woofer than the Jordan. For less moolah, there is a good OW1, woofer combo already built(heresy!).
Our own RAW has a ribbon/Jordan combo built for Jim Griffin, PhD that is probably a mind blower.

Attachments

• jordanmt.jpg
    jordanmt.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 855
If you want a wider bandwidth system, particularly into the bass, the JX53/JX125 or JX150 combo is probably still the one to go for. I was advised by Ted that the JX125 is a better bass driver than the JX92 (since that was, after all, what it was designed for).

The overlap at crossover between the two Jordan units is quite large and the fact that they are similar designs of cones, materials, horizontal dispersion, etc makes for a very seamless transition. IMHO, probably about the closest to a single driver in two units.

Colin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
i did a TL design for the JX125 (for someone else never built it).

A friend had JX150 and until he managed to get JX53 he found a fostex ribbon to be the best match... then he used the jx53 with a series XO about 3.5k... now he just runs the JX150 full range. Mine are still in their boxes, but i'll get them into something someday.

dave

Attachments

• jx125-ttl.gif
    jx125-ttl.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 743
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Al Garay Did I understand correctly:Your friend prefered running the JX150 full range more so than the JX150 with the JX53? What provides coverage above 5kHz?Thanks for sharing your design [/B]

Yes... a stock JX150 actually goes right up -- at least by the spec it goes up to at least 10k

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And who knows what the C37 on it actually do... both him (& 7th Viel Steve -- different "Jordan" driver) say it is a positive improvement.

dave

I have tried running my JX125 full range (the smaller version of the JX150 and so, theoretically, it should have a better chance of going into the HF range). I found the upper registers quite harsh. Adding the JX53 at the recommended crossover (500Hz) made everything a lot smoother without losing any coherence. And the JX53s work fine down to 500Hz. Another website is critical of them because I think they're referring to older units (the JX51) which were more fragile. The JX53 will handle enough power to run hot to the touch!

btw, Nelson's mystery DX55 is the JX93, I think, as used in the J-Low Horn.

Final thought, Steve's 7th Veil speakers use the Bandor drivers. Although these have a common heritage to the Jordan's, they are made and sound dissimilar.

Hope this helps. For what it's worth, the Jordan bass units are quite versatile. There's a good technical article about them here

Colin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am somewhat skeptical of my friend's findings, but i have enuff respect for his ears to not just diss his experience, and i do know that coating an aluminum cone with puzzlecoat can really clean up the high frequencies, and who know's what the "mythical, magical" C37 can do (another product i don't dismiss out of hand, because of to much good words from people who's opionion should be respected.

Colin said:
Nelson's mystery DX55 is the JX93, I think

DX55 is a Lowther part number if i'm not mistaken.... one of their 5.5" (?) drivers.

dave

I've mentioned before on the forum that the JX125 has been run up to 5kHz in a commercial design and crossed to a ribbon. It got very good reviews but I think the JX53 would work better as they are designed together to be the nearest thing to a single driver in two units.

Or use a JX92 and add a sub... Thor on the fullrange forum recommends this approach.

Colin

The commercial design was the Elite Townshend, produced in the 90s. It used an earlier version of the JX125 driver and a ribbon tweeter (no idea which sort). It got good reviews in Gramophone and HiFi Choice in the UK. It may have disappeared because of it's complexity - it used a metal skinned reflex cabinet lined with plaster. (What is it about commercial designers when they get hold of the Jordan units - they immediately put them in the most expensive, quirky boxes they can find.)

I can't comment on the Salk/Seas units but the JX125/JX53 combination is the most realistic I've heard to date and the Jordan bass units seem to be flexible enough to work in a number of different designs. The JX150 is basically a larger, higher power-handling version of the JX125. For a TL, I would think one of Martin King's ML designs would be ideal.

Colin

Colin said:
The commercial design was the Elite Townshend, produced in the 90s. It used an earlier version of the JX125 driver and a ribbon tweeter (no idea which sort). It got good reviews in Gramophone and HiFi Choice in the UK. It may have disappeared because of it's complexity - it used a metal skinned reflex cabinet lined with plaster. (What is it about commercial designers when they get hold of the Jordan units - they immediately put them in the most expensive, quirky boxes they can find.)

I can't comment on the Salk/Seas units but the JX125/JX53 combination is the most realistic I've heard to date and the Jordan bass units seem to be flexible enough to work in a number of different designs. The JX150 is basically a larger, higher power-handling version of the JX125. For a TL, I would think one of Martin King's ML designs would be ideal.

Colin
What about a sealed box stand design with a53 and a 150
with minimal series XO? Any ideas?

When I last heard the JX150 in Ted's own system, that was being used in a sealed enclosure, size as recommended on his website. That seemed to go pretty low with plenty of power handling capability. A single JX150 per side was matched to 4x JX53s in a linear array format.

I use the JX53 and JX125 in sealed boxes. Two separate enclosures in the same cabinet. The JX125 is in a (I think - it's been a while) 35L enclosure, tuned to a Q 0f 0.7. It is good to around 50Hz at full power, below which the output diminishes rapidly. The size was chosen partly for asthetics - the Jordan site recommends 50L for this driver. The JX125 enclosure is unstuffed, which I found sounded better.

The JX53 is in a 3L enclosure (twice the recommended size but it also holds the crossover board) and crosses to the woofer at the recommended 500Hz, 6dB octave.

Jordan recommends a 66L vented enclosure for two of the JX125 drivers, which is giving me ideas as my current enclosure is within striking distance for one driver. The vented design would probably have more output at lower frequencies. Now, where did I put that jigsaw?

Colin

I'm confused/surprised by the 600Hz crossover point.

Which is a better driver for midrange?

I expected the JX125 or JX150 would be better up to 2k than the JX53 (for a single driver). I guess if you have four JX53s per side, that really improves the output and lowers the distortion.

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.