Lobbying for a Class D Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've put up a "feature request" for a separate Class D section (forum). The technology is sufficiently different from other solid-state topologies and draws more than enough interest to warrant a proper home on the diyaudio site.

I'd like to encourage all switch-o-philes to go and vote for it. The forum would also cater for switch-mode power supplies.

Best regards,

Bruno

Mine Idee!

In future we will see more and more Class-D amplifiers. Thereby there will be a lot of new products available for the DIY community in the near future.

As far as I know Mueta will definatly come this year with there long awaited Driver IC.

The Class-D technology is so complicated and asks for new way of thinking for traditional analog liniear amplifier designers (as I am).

So for new hobbyiest who wants to get experience with Class-D this would be good idee to have a seperate section on the DIYaudio.com

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Great idea!
There are already many different threads dedicated to Class D, one of them already 37 pages long, discussing at least 5 different projects (this one ), so there's definitely some interest.
I think there should be a dedicated "switchmode amplification" forum, to encourage people to post new threads, and take part in the discussion of this technology. Class D is just getting started, and there'll be a whole lot more to come! Considering the many different approaches which are already there (synchronous, self-oscillating, BCA, different feedback techniques...), there is a lot of potential for development. Let's get this thing started!

:D
Felix

What is the point of having a Class D forum that'll take weeks until the thread listing rolls onto a second page?

That is exactly the point. It is not about casual reading, but about high S/N ratio forum. I can assure you that the guy that started this thread is capable of 120dB S/N ratio posting. And it will not take weeks to fill one page. There are already 291 threads containing class d and 354 containing smsp.

BTW, the link for voting is here.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

I think that class D forum will be most popular, but in the future (actually several years only) of course.. Ok, what is future? It is just a time for waiting when this future will come in my mind, or maybe it's time for making the future? If DIYer=customer then we can sit and wait for a future which make for us Bruno (probably not all here know who is Bruno Putzeys, and that he is part of the future of class D already himself [sorry Bruno:-]) and others. DIY-just tell me what you mean?:confused:

Jaka, you mentioned switch mode power supplies, these are usually discussed in car audio unfortunetly, meaning theres a lot of crap posts in it (usually people who just want to build super amps :)

Would you consider class D and tripath amps close enough to switch mode power supplies to use the same forum section? I can't see any problem with it :)

nothing against an additional class d forum, also next will be people want class a, class ab, class b and class c forum...

Before there are much more fora, i would like to have options for personal settings what forums i want to have displayed. Now i can choose between audio only, video only, all. I would like some checkbox system so i can choose what to see and what not - so i can get rid of that car audio forum were people only discuss if it will be loud enough or not.

Switching power circuits are sufficiently different to have their own unique problems. We have had SMPS for several years, and they are now ubiquitous. The same thing could happen to class D amplifiers, once problems are solved.
It would be good to be there at the start, rather than waiting for a Japanese hi end company to produce a Digital gain card based on National's Overture series class D modulator, and have a Digital Gain Clone thread..:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.