Switching amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has any one ever built a switching amplifier. i have had this magazine with full details and pcb lay out of a 65watt full switching power amp stereo with power supply and all has any one ever heard of it or built one..

Might be some thing that i want to tackle..

Jason,,

if ya need the schematics and pcb layouts any one let me know also i have the full artical scanned please email me for them..

April 1st is a bad joke day. That amp had so many problems it would take hours to discuss even a few of them. Consider just three: 1)line operated supply with hot chassis and no transformer for isolation. 2)the author has you cutting the bottoms out of old tin cans for soldering on to some diode leads for heatsinking. 3)no anti-aliasing filters.

Here is the one that i am talking about.

Here is the pic

Attachments

• power.jpeg
    power.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 765
Switching amplifier - cheap and dirty!

I've built a switchmode amp using a 556 (dual 555) cmos timer and a power mosfet output. It actually works quite well, but nowhere near the quality of a ZEN.

Set one section as an oscillator at whatever frequency. Run the output of that section to the trigger input of the other section. On the control voltage line of the second, run the analog input in here. The output of the second section goes to the FET.

Voila, a switchmode amp.

It is a cool little project. (I used it for preliminary research for high-efficiency subwoofer amp when I worked for a car audio company)

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.