Philips CD104 tweaks

Hi,

Planning to mod my CD104.

Anyone suggests any mods ? I have replaced the captive leads.

I was thinking of first looking at the capas in the analogue section. My main problem is how you get the analogue board out . I figure you go in from underneath and remove a torx screw holding the board in place. Is there much more dismantling to be done , or is there a special way of removing the card ?

Here is what I did

Thanks to Guido for the CDX manual

I studied the schematics and decided to try a few tweaks. I didn't want to :

1) Risk this ancient machine not working at all

2) Change the sound too much i.e destroy what I liked

3) Buy any new parts - so I raided my parts bin

Basically I :

1) Replaced the DC blocking caps on the decode board (underneath ) with wire links (caps 2573 & 2608). I use a Quad 44 which has DC blocking so these were unneccesary

2) Replaced the opamp decoupling caps with cerafines 25v/100uF (2624 & 2627) - seen in the picture

3) replaced the PSU board caps 2451 - 2456 with Elna RSH (16v /100uF) with the excpetion of 2455 which I used a 16v /100uF OSCON

still a bit hard at the top end but I think that it has greater imagery and depth.

Attachments

• 04507004.jpg
    04507004.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 11,031
hi

some nice mods there. I have 2 players (the early gray and the later black model of the 104)

i have successfully got the black ne working and have replaced the audio leads as they were almost hanginf off:)

I have just one fault in the servo borad of the other player to sort out (the laser skips off the track after a minute of playing or so)

would you be so kind as to let me hve a copy of the service manual/schematic?

I have a .pdf guid to servicing this machine which might be of interest to you

kind regards
Alan

wahee@fs2.com

Now swapped all the remaining caps from the decoder board for oscons. They were all 22uF/35v ( B&O CDX says there 40v) However none see a voltage greater than -18v. There is alsu one 1uF/35v cap too. I swapped in 22uF/20v oscons which fit well and a 1uF/20v. sorry for the poor picture but the oscons are the violet/blue caps

Sound is sweeter I'd say

Remaining tweak might be to add some ferrites to the 3 green inductors you can see in the picture. Need to device a means where they don't short with the groundplane.

Attachments

• dsc00594.jpg
    dsc00594.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 10,413
chlo said:
Dear Wahee, Jives11,

I have a CD104 which is not functioning properly.Could you kindly send me a copy of CD104 manual.

many thanks in advance.

chlo.

my email address: chuong_h_l at yahoo.co.uk

Hi Chlo, did you get the CDX manual ?

what is your problem ? Is it the classic one where the player refuses to read the CD TOC until the player has been warmed up for 30 minutes or so ?

chlo said:
Hi,

Many thank for your CDX manual. I am still having a problem with my CD104. The tray does not open!. I could not find the circuit diagram for it on the CDX manual. I think I have to look for CD104 manual.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Chlo.

ahh that would be different as the CDX was a top loader and hand no drawer mechanism.

If you take the top off you can (carefully) manually open the drawer. If you load a CD does it play correctly ?

Is there any motor noise if you press eject ? If so it might be as simple as the rubber belt is broken. Mine is not broken but is a bit loose . It looks very fiddly to replace assuming you can find a substitute

Hi.

Don't forget to resolder ALL the through-board connections from the ground planes (with a wire from top to bottom) !

"" I am still having a problem with my CD104. The tray does not open!. """

These connections cause untold problems including such as above.

Andy