Chassis service?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone out there make amplifier chassis for a decent price?

The problem I have is I am not a good woodworker or metal worker. Nor do I have the tools to do it.

I am entirely an electronics engineer and I have all of that handled. I have a design in my head of how I want my chassis as far as the wooden parameter, the metal top, etc.. but I cant actually fabricate it.

any ideas?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I highly recommend Landfall Systems, and use them for most of my designs. They are a great option for those who can't or don't want to fabricate their own chassis. I should disclose that I am pretty friendly these days with one of the principals at Landfall, so am inclined to recommend them to anyone listening.. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's all custom work done to customer specification so there are no standard offerings, but they are competitive particularly regarding the quality of their work. They're also very nice, and won't mind an email outlining what you are looking for and asking for a rough idea of price, they will quote before doing any work. (i.e. quote is exactly what you pay)

Right. ok. I noticed its all-metal though, and I want to do a hybrid. Wood base, metal top/bottom.

From what I can tell of the design, the top plate is separate from everything so I could just remove that. But then again I would need someone to do the woodworking :-(

The Chinese wont deal with me unless I am making 50 or more pieces. Not worth it IMHO.

The rest of your sentence I dont quite understand?
The Chinese wont deal with me unless I am making 50 or more pieces. Not worth it IMHO. I mean say a retail shop not wholesale shop. Try this retail shop or any other of your preference: Wholesale Buy Various Tube Guitar Amp DIY Repair Parts from mafaudio Vintage HIFI DIY

The rest of your sentence I dont quite understand? I sorry you cant read the Shakespeare's language in this case use it: Google Tradutor

Ok. They dont list any pricing, without that I dont have a ballpark.
This Landfal page have a price calculator, scroll down the page.

GoodComponent and LandFal dont do these services. It's a simple service if you have a drill. Stay alert with workshops that do this service in CNC machine, very expensive.

Then that defeats the whole purpose here.

Even if I did have access to a CNC machine, I would have to bust the wooden frame apart to route it properly anyways if they didnt do this service prior to manufacture.

thanks anyways.

A Hammond case and some Greenlee punches may be easier to use than you think. The punches will let you build multiple cases. Get some graph paper (or CAD if you can) and center punch the holes. Drill and use the Greenlee punch. You will be shocked how nice it can turn out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is what I used to do, it's not hard. Here is an example of an amplifier I built 14 years ago. I've gotten better at it, but I was not awfully good at it to start.

Attachments

• preferred configuration.jpg
    preferred configuration.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 205
  • construction1.jpg
    construction1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 193
  • construction2.jpg
    construction2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 194
  • construction3.jpg
    construction3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 191
  • construction4.jpg
    construction4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 196
  • construction5.jpg
    construction5.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 114
But this also requires you to have somewhat of a workshop to do this kind of work. Nice looking chassis though ;-)

Only thing I have is a kitchen table. That works ok for PCB assembly and some soldering like what I normally do.

But since I am renting the place fully furnished, if I destroy the kitchen table trying to do metal working, Things arnt going to end well with my landlord.

This is one of many reasons why I am avoiding doing the chassis. That and not having the tools.

There is also a piece to this that I havent discussed I dont think, the base I want wooden. not all metal. So that complicates things further, however I am sure I could find a wooden sign shop somewhere around here that could make the base for me.

But the tricky thing is, and the part that I hadnt mentioned is there would have to be routing involved in the front peice of wood that you look at. There is a VFD display and an IR recieve that I want to stick in that display, as well as potentiometer routing that needs to happen on each side of the display window. So basically making a "bezel" out of the front wood.

And, there needs to be a routed parameter around the display window so a piece of tinted lexan/plexiglass can fit in which adds contrast to the display, and "hides" everything.

Last edited:
I´m doing the coffin using tailored sandwiched wooden: Buche Multiplexplatte Zuschnitt ⇒

I´m thinking in the future to use foaam for raw cement coffin. The top and bottom plate are from Schaeffer AG, designed using the tool "Frontplatte Designer" (very simple to use): Schaeffer AG: Home

The overall price is not really cheap!

Attached two 3D views for 2A3 SET top plate.

JP

Attachments

• 2A3-TOP-PLATE_1.png
    2A3-TOP-PLATE_1.png
    460 KB · Views: 95
  • 2A3-TOP-PLATE_2.png
    2A3-TOP-PLATE_2.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.